Germantown was founded in the early 19th century by European immigrants. It was called “German Town” because of German immigrants (along with immigrants from other European countries) who set up shop in the agricultural village when a road was created to connect Neelsville to Darnestown. The original plan for Germantown divided the area into a downtown and six town villages: Gunners Lake Village, Kingsview Village, Churchill Village, Middlebrook Village, Clopper’s Mill Village, and Neelsville Village. Now, Germantown has a population of over 90,000 people, making it the third most populous place in Maryland behind the city of Baltimore and Columbia (census designated place). Below you’ll find ten suggestions for free things to do in Germantown, MD:
- Black Hill Regional Park: This park offers a variety of recreational activities, including hiking trails, boating, fishing, and picnicking. It also has a nature center where you can learn about the local flora and fauna.
- Germantown Town Center Urban Park: This park features a splash fountain, playground, and a large open space for picnicking, sports, and relaxation. It’s a great place to enjoy outdoor activities and community events.
- South Germantown Recreational Park: This expansive park offers a variety of recreational facilities, including soccer fields, baseball fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, and a skate park. There’s also a scenic lake where you can go fishing.
- Seneca Creek State Park: This state park offers free admission and has miles of hiking and biking trails, picnic areas, and a playground. The park also has a nature center where you can learn about the local wildlife and habitats.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts: This cultural arts center offers free admission to some of its galleries, which feature rotating exhibitions of visual arts. It’s a great place to appreciate local and regional artwork.
- Germantown Library: The Germantown Library offers free access to a wide variety of books, magazines, DVDs, and other resources. It’s a great place to relax, read, or do research.
- Schaeffer Farm Trails: This network of trails offers scenic hiking and biking opportunities through woodlands, meadows, and along Seneca Creek. It’s a great place for nature enthusiasts and outdoor recreation.
- Kingsview Local Park: This park features sports fields, playgrounds, and picnic areas. It’s a great place for families to enjoy outdoor activities and relax in a natural setting.
- A Stroll Through Germantown Town Center: This area is walkable and has everything you’d need from the previously mentioned public library and Black Rock Center for the Arts, to places where you can shop or eat if you’d like to spend during your walk at a grocery store, many restaurants, and more.
- Germantown Historical Society Museum: This small museum features exhibits on the history and heritage of Germantown and the surrounding area. It’s a great place to learn about the local history and culture.
Please note that availability and hours of operation may vary, and it’s always best to check with the respective venues or websites for the most up-to-date information before planning your visit. Enjoy your time in Germantown!
Time Square Jewelers at 100 Gibbs St Unit E in Rockville has announced it will be closing on December 23, 2023.
Takoma Park Police has announced that following a thorough investigation of a bomb threat at a drag event that was being held at Motorkat on the 6900 block of Laurel…
Detectives from the Special Victims Investigations Division (SVID) is asking for the public’s assistance in locating Genesis Flores, a missing 13-year-old from Silver Spring.
Earlier this year we let you know that Planet Fitness announced it will be opening new locations at 6881 New Hampshire Ave. in Takoma Park (now open) and 2201 Randolph Rd….
SATURDAY 12/9/23 Join us for the ultimate year-end celebration of art, vintage finds, and fashion at CNXN.WORLD's Art & Vintage Event! Sponsored by So What Else, Inc. We will be hosting a hygiene product drive as well! Please bring items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, and more to donate and make a difference. Sign up for a chance to WIN a $40 credit you can use towards any purchase at the event! We've got food, drinks, and more prizes during the event! Vendor Lineup: @thefoundrymd @poetic_sole @on2thenext_vntg @fleetwoodmarket @anatething @bimdayz @thriftlifeadvintage @yester_dayz @bratty_couture @camryncurtiss @crushthrifts @888deadgirl @ken_blendz @misfitbodega @mando.nc @mozartsthriftshop @seamslikenew @skuffstore @the.crucial.cookie @sowhatelsehelps Saturday, December 9th, 20231:30 PM to 6:00 PM4924 Wyaconda Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852. See you there!