Per Montgomery County: The nature centers operated by Montgomery Parks will have an exciting and fun array of programs and activities in May, including the annual native plant sales, Mother’s Day crafts and nature hikes.
The May nature center events schedule will include:
- Nature Hike and Seek. Wednesdays, May 10, 17 and 24. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. A park naturalist will lead exploration of the wonders of nature and work on important developmental skills at Wheaton Regional Park. Ages 3-6. Registration required. $7 per session.
- Roots to Rock: Youth Mountain Bike Lessons. Through May 31. Various times and locations. The lessons will be led by two instructors with safety and fun in mind. All skill levels are welcome, but participants must know how to ride a bike (except for the “Learn to ride” sessions). Ages 6 and older. Registration required. Free.
- Wednesday, May 10. 5-7 p.m. Maydale Nature Classroom.
- Saturday, May 13. 9–11 a.m. Maydale Nature Classroom (Learn to ride).
- Wednesday, May 17, and Wednesday, May 24. 5-7 p.m. Burnt Mills East Special Park.
- Saturday, May 27. 9-11 a.m. Burnt Mills East Special Park.. (Learn to ride).
- Wednesday, May 31. 5-7 p.m. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreational Park.
- Native Plant Sale. In Person. Saturday, May 6 (Black Hill); Saturday-Sunday, May 20– 21 (Locust Grove). Various times. Black Hill Nature Programs, 20926 Lake Ridge Drive, Boyds. Locust Grove Nature Center, 7777 Democracy Blvd., Bethesda. Beautify your backyard, help the environment and be a good neighbor to wildlife with native plants purchased at the Native Plant sales, which support nature programming at Montgomery Parks.
- Black Hill Nature Programs: Sale is in-person by appointment only on May 6.
- Locust Grove Nature Center: Select and purchase plants online through May 8 for pick up on May 13. Also: shop in person May 20 and 21, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (ActiveMontgomery account required for online orders).
- Beginning Birding for Every Body. Saturday, May 13. 9-10 a.m. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton. Join a Brookside naturalist and learn the basics of birding on a frustration-free “flat” bird practice trail. Stroll or roll to each bird station and learn proper use of binoculars and how to navigate a field guide. Ages 16 and older. Registration required. $7.
- Mother’s Day Eco-printing Workshop. Saturday, May 13. 11 a.m.-noon. Meadowside Nature Center, 5100 Meadowside Lane, Rockville. Make a unique gift for Mom—or yourself. Create designs for a t-shirt or tote bag by using the natural dyeing eco-printing technique. Ages 12 and older. Registration required. $10.
- Hike to Parks Unknown. Friday, May 19, and Friday, May 26. 10-11:30 a.m. (May 19); 1-2:30 p.m. (May 26). Various locations. Park naturalists will lead off-site hikes and provide an opportunity to know a new park. Includes a one-hour hike and social chat at the end. Mobile science station, Nature on Wheels will provide seating, water and bathroom access (via stairs). $10.
- Waterfest. Saturday, May 20. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Maydale Nature Classroom, 1638 Maydale Drive, Colesville. Make a splash and learn about our local watershed through crafts, games, activities and exhibitors. All ages. Free.
- Family Nature Art. Saturday, May 27. 10-11:30 a.m. Brookside Nature Center, 1400 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. Join a park naturalist to collect natural items from Wheaton Regional Park and turn them into art. Ages 6 and older. Registration required. $7.
For more information, visit the Spring 2023 Montgomery Parks Program Guide.
Scores for Dec 09, 2023 (powered by www.MoCoAI.com):
Per Montgomery County: “Committees will review legislation regarding roadside tree replacement fees and the County’s right of first refusal to buy rental housing; and review zoning text amendments regarding site…
Per the State of Maryland (12.9.23): “Today, Governor Wes Moore and First Lady Dawn Moore hosted a public open house to celebrate the holiday season with Marylanders. The event was…
Per the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security: “Montgomery County has activated a Hypothermia Alert for extreme cold for Sun, 12/10 at 10:00 pm through Mon, 12/11. Expect…
SATURDAY 12/9/23 Join us for the ultimate year-end celebration of art, vintage finds, and fashion at CNXN.WORLD's Art & Vintage Event! Sponsored by So What Else, Inc. We will be hosting a hygiene product drive as well! Please bring items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, and more to donate and make a difference. Sign up for a chance to WIN a $40 credit you can use towards any purchase at the event! We've got food, drinks, and more prizes during the event! Vendor Lineup: @thefoundrymd @poetic_sole @on2thenext_vntg @fleetwoodmarket @anatething @bimdayz @thriftlifeadvintage @yester_dayz @bratty_couture @camryncurtiss @crushthrifts @888deadgirl @ken_blendz @misfitbodega @mando.nc @mozartsthriftshop @seamslikenew @skuffstore @the.crucial.cookie @sowhatelsehelps Saturday, December 9th, 20231:30 PM to 6:00 PM4924 Wyaconda Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852. See you there!