A bill that would increase wages for tipped employees was introduced at the Montgomery County Council meeting on Tuesday, September 19. Bill 35-23 would adjust the calculation of the minimum wage for tipped workers and phase out the tip credit amount under the Montgomery County’s minimum wage law. Currently, businesses are required to pay servers $4.00 per hour; if a server does not make the current minimum hourly wage ($15-16.70) per hour, employers are required to make up the difference.
If the bill passes, there will be incremental increases over the next five years:
• $4.00 per hour, until July 1, 2024;
• $6.00 per hour, effective July 1, 2024 until July 1, 2025;
• $8.00 per hour, effective July 1, 2025 until July 1, 2026;
• $10.00 per hour, effective July 1, 2026 until July 1, 2027; and
• $12.00 per hour, effective July 1, 2027 until July 1, 2028
On October 10, the Council will hold public hearings on the proposed bill Details below.
Per Montgomery County: The County Council will hold public hearings to receive testimony on new items introduced to the Council as follows:
Oct. 10, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Deadline to sign up to speak is Oct. 9 at 2 p.m.
- Bill 35-23, County Minimum Wage – Tipped Employees, would adjust the calculation of minimum wage for tipped workers, phase out the tip credit amount under the County minimum wage law, and generally amend the County minimum wage law.
- Bill 34-23, County Minimum Wage – Wage Commission – Established, would establish an advisory wage commission to make recommendations to the County Executive and the County Council regarding minimum wages and working conditions by industry in the County, specify the membership and duties of the wage commission, and generally amend the law regarding the establishment of a wage commission and regarding minimum wages and labor relations in the County.
- Supplemental Appropriation to the FY24 Operating Budget, Montgomery County Government, Department of Environmental Protection, $813,710 (Source of Funds: State Grant, The Chesapeake Bay Trust – Urban Tree Grant Award).
To testify in-person or remotely during a live public hearing at the Council Office Building, residents need to preregister on the Council’s web page. Residents may also choose to provide pre-recorded testimony in written, audio or video formats or submit testimony by mail.
Send testimony by mail to County Council, 100 Maryland Ave., Rockville, MD 20850; or residents may sign up to testify remotely by phone (call 240-777-7803 for information). To express an opinion call 240-777-7900.
The Council meeting schedule may change from time to time. View the current Council and Committee agendas, Council staff reports and additional information on items scheduled for Council review on the Council website.
Public hearings will be televised live by County Cable Montgomery (CCM) on Xfinity channels 6 and 996, RCN channels 6 and 1056; and FiOS channel 30. Also available live via streaming through the Council website, Facebook Live (@MontgomeryCountyMdCouncil or @ConcejodelCondadodeMontgomery), or YouTube (@MoCoCouncilMD).
How to Sign Up for Public Hearings
The Stay Council Connected video series is a step-by-step guide to navigating the Montgomery County Council that offers instructions for residents.
The Heights Food Hall at Wisconsin Place in Chevy Chase has announced it will open on Monday, December 11th.
According to the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office (SMCSO) in Southern MD, emergency personnel arrived on the scene of a crash involving a horse and buggy and a vehicle on…
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to a call for a fire at a single family home on the 25300 block of Oak Drive in Damascus at approximately…
Maryland State Police are seeking public assistance as investigators work to identify a man who reportedly fled the scene of a traffic crash that occurred in Montgomery County Friday afternoon.
SATURDAY 12/9/23 Join us for the ultimate year-end celebration of art, vintage finds, and fashion at CNXN.WORLD's Art & Vintage Event! Sponsored by So What Else, Inc. We will be hosting a hygiene product drive as well! Please bring items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, and more to donate and make a difference. Sign up for a chance to WIN a $40 credit you can use towards any purchase at the event! We've got food, drinks, and more prizes during the event! Vendor Lineup: @thefoundrymd @poetic_sole @on2thenext_vntg @fleetwoodmarket @anatething @bimdayz @thriftlifeadvintage @yester_dayz @bratty_couture @camryncurtiss @crushthrifts @888deadgirl @ken_blendz @misfitbodega @mando.nc @mozartsthriftshop @seamslikenew @skuffstore @the.crucial.cookie @sowhatelsehelps Saturday, December 9th, 20231:30 PM to 6:00 PM4924 Wyaconda Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852. See you there!