Per Montgomery County: “The Wheaton Arts & Entertainment District and surrounding areas will have a full schedule of winter events and holiday celebrations for all ages. The events will include the Wheaton Holiday Market on Saturday, Dec. 23, at Marian Fryer Town Plaza.
The holiday decorations on display at Marian Fryer Town Plaza through Jan. 7 will make great backdrops for winter photos.
The winter special events calendar in the Wheaton area will include:
- Celebration Market at the Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery in Westfield Wheaton. Weekends through Dec. 24. Noon-5 p.m. The artist and makers market will include music, treats and free holiday crafts for children. Free admission.
- Wheaton Holiday Market at the Marian Fryer Town Plaza. Saturday, Dec. 23. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Support local artisans at this outdoor holiday market organized by the Department of Environmental Protection and Impact Silver Spring. Free admission.
- Photos with Santa at Westfield Wheaton. Daily through Dec. 24. Meet the jolly man himself and purchase a family photo package. Reservations encouraged.
- Winter Camp at Wheaton Studio of Dance. Wednesday, Dec. 27 through Friday, Dec. 29. Wheaton School of Dance is offering Barbie and Taylor Swift themed popup camps with dancing, crafts and games for ballet students. Registration required.
- Winter Basketball Camp for Youth. Wednesday, Dec. 27, through Friday, Dec. 29. Wheaton Recreation Center. The recreation center offers a winter youth basketball camp in addition to a wide variety of drop-in sports and fitness programs.
- Gingerbread Crafternoon at Wheaton Library. Thursday, Dec. 28. 3 p.m. Make a gingerbread craft with recycled materials. Recommended for ages 3-5. Free.
- Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens. Every night through Dec. 31, except Dec. 24-25. Brookside Gardens will be transformed into a magical winter wonderland for the Garden of Lights. Walk through the outdoor twinkling lights and glimmering displays that dot the paths and flowerbeds. More than one million dazzling and colorful LED lights are handwoven into original works depicting animals, flowers and other natural elements. Advanced tickets are required.
- Garden Railway in the Conservatory at Brookside Gardens. Every day through Dec. 31. 10 a.m.-3:45 p.m., except Dec. 25. Sponsored by the Friends of Brookside Gardens, this model railway exhibit is one of the Conservatory’s most popular attractions in the fall and winter. Free.
- New Year’s Eve Party at Crossroads Two Restaurant and Lounge. Sunday, Dec. 31. Champagne fountain and DJ playing the best in Reggae, Soca, Hip-Hop and Afro beats.
- Rock’n New Years Eve Party at The Limerick Pub. Live music from bands Bag O’ Vaughans and Bad Influence. Sunday, Dec. 31.
- Roda Movements Open House. Saturday, Jan. 6. New year, new skills. Wheaton’s capoeira studio offers dance lessons, martial arts and fitness classes. The open house will have activities for children and adults. Free.
- InterAct Story Theatre’s Wheaton Family Theatre Series Family Literacy Fiesta. Saturday, Jan. 20. 11 a.m., and Sunday, Jan. 21, 2 p.m. Highland Elementary School. Celebrate the start of the New Year as InterAct Story Theatre leads kids and adults in exploring a favorite folk tale together through movement, drama and song. Free.
For those interested in supporting special programs:
- The Montgomery Housing Partnership, Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad and the Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce are sponsoring their annual Angels for Children Toy Drive. It is the 25th anniversary of the drive and drop-off points can be found around Wheaton.
- American Legion Post 268 is collecting donations of new hats, gloves and scarves for kids in low-income families. It also is collecting wrapped gifts for nursing homes with a label indicating if the present is for a man or woman.
- Support families in need during the holidays by donating to Mid-County United Ministries (MUM). MUM provides emergency food and assistance to people in crisis.
For an updated events calendar, information on the Wheaton Arts & Entertainment District, Wheaton Urban District or the surrounding area, visit Wheatonmd.org.
Wawa’s first Montgomery County location at 405 S Frederick Ave (355) in Gaithersburg will hold its grand opening on Thursday, March 7.
Firehouse Subs is now open in the Wheaton Mall food court at 11160 Veirs Mill Rd.
Montgomery County Public Schools is looking businesses/individuals to participate in its annual Summer Rise program.
Below is a list of businesses that are coming soon to Gaithersburg’s Rio.
AC Milan Academy is hosting a soccer camp at Maryland Soccerplex from March 1st through March 3rd for girls and boys aged 5 to 16 from any club who want to develop their soccer skills and learn the unique methodology of AC Milan directly from AC Milan coaches.
March 1st (Friday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 2nd (Saturday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 3rd (Sunday) 10:30am -12pm and 3:30pm-5pm
Location:18031 Central Park Cir, Boyds, MD 20841
Price: $349 + AC Milan Junior Camp Kit