Metrorail Service & Derailment Investigation Update
Advisory Effective: 10/18/21 – 11/30/21
As of Wednesday, November 17, 2021 Metrorail service will operate as follows:
- Red Line trains run every 12 minutes
- Green Line and Yellow Line trains run every 20 minutes
- Blue Line, Orange Line, and Silver Line trains run every 24 minutes
- Silver Line service has resumed between Wiehle-Reston East and Largo Town Center
Metro will continue to operate at reduced service levels through at least November 30 and will advise the public of any additional service improvements should more trains become available.
Metro’s trip planner has been updated to reflect the latest service schedule. Customers are also encouraged to use the live train map to see the locations of trains on each line. In-station next train signs (Passenger Information Displays) are providing accurate train arrival estimates.
As Metro continues to work closely with the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission and NTSB and more information develops, we will update the public about service.
WMATA started working with NTSB and the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission last week to determine the cause of the Blue Line derailment at Arlington Cemetery; that investigation is still ongoing.
Because safety remains our number one priority, we have removed all 7000-series railcars from service to properly inspect the fleet.
These actions are being taken out of an abundance of caution.
- We understand the impact this decision has on transportation for the DMV area (National Capital Region). We apologize for this reduction in service and the inconvenience this is causing our customers.
- As customers experience delays and full rail cars during their commute, please know we have made a concerted effort to improve airflow. Face masks continue to be required throughout the system, and Metrorail cars recycle the air approximately every three minutes
- We want the public to know we are committed to their safety and will continue to release updates as we receive them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Background: On Wednesday, October 13, Metro, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission (WMSC) launched an investigation into the Blue Line derailment that occurred on Tuesday, October 12, between Rosslyn and Arlington Cemetery Stations.
The investigation is ongoing, and the following questions provide the most up-to-date information to ensure the public is informed.