Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) were called to the scene of a fire on the fifth floor of the Central Apartments (8400 Fenton Street) in Silver Spring a little before 4pm on Friday afternoon. According to MCFRS Chief Spokesperson Pete Piringer, the sprinkler system was activated and the building was evacuated. By 4:09pm the fire had been extinguished and two people were being evaluated for non-life threatening injuries. Fire department activity blocked some lanes on Fenton St and Bonifant St until the early evening.
The cause of the fire was unattended cooking and three occupants of the apartment, including a small child, were able to get out safely. There were no injuries after evaluation of residents, but 18 apartments are dealing with varying degrees of smoke and water damage, with 26 people being displaced.
Update – Central Apts, Fenton St, Kitchen fire contained & extinguished by sprinkler system, (unattended cooking), three occupants including a small child got out, otherwise building evacuated, no injuries, 18 apartments (varying degrees of smoke/water damage, 26 people displaced https://t.co/sEFf9PBHZ1 pic.twitter.com/LYaMhGAzax
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 6, 2023