Montgomery County Fire and Rescue units were called to 199 Rollins Ave in Rockville earlier this evening for a 2-Alarm fire.
According to MCFRS PIO Pete Piringer, the fire started when a piece of burning paper that was used to light a candle was improperly discarded into a wicker trash can on the fifth floor of the 8-story Bethany House senior apartment complex.
The fire was under control soon after the arrival of MCFRS units. Heavy smoke came from the apartment and lighter smoke eventually reached other floors in the building. Several residents, many with mobility issues, were initially evacuated from the building.
Two residents sustained non-life threatening injuries and there was about $35k in damages to the apartment. Four people were displaced.
Update (~6p 1/7) 199 Rollins Av. Bethany House. 5th floor; Cause, ACCIDENTAL, improperly discarded burning material (piece of burning paper used to light candle) tossed into wicker trash can; Area of Origin, couch, living room; 2 civ NLT injuries; Damage, $35K; 4 displaced https://t.co/Y2jVr26l4s pic.twitter.com/urgWuRDwOK
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 8, 2022