Approximately $85K in Damage, Likely Cause Revealed Following Gaithersburg House Fire

by MCS Staff

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to a call for a fire on the unit block of Hutton Street of S. Summit Avenue in Gaithersburg at approximately 2pm on Monday afternoon, according to MCFRS Chief Spokesperson Pete Piringer.

Upon arrival, crews found fire and smoke coming from the two-story single family home with all occupants already out of the house. By 2:26pm, the bulk of the fire had been knocked out and firefighters were checking for any possible extension and no extension to the attic or basement was found.

Per Piringer, the likely cause was improperly discarded ashes from the fireplace (not fully extinguished). They continued to smolder in a plastic bucket, which led to the fire spreading to nearby combustibles. Weather also likely played a factor. All occupants were okay, but the family that lives in the home (including two adults, two children, and one dog) will be displaced. Approximately $85K in damage.


You may also like

Leave a Comment


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy