Beyond MoCo: Body-Worn Camera Footage from November’s Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Frederick Released

by Patrick Herron

Per the Maryland State’s Attorney’s Office: The Independent Investigations Division (IID) of the Office of the Attorney General today released the body-worn camera footage from the fatal police-involved shooting that occurred on November 29, 2022, in Frederick, Maryland. The decedent was previously identified as 23-year-old Aaron Mensah, of Frederick, Maryland.

The IID will generally release body-worn camera and dashboard camera footage within 14 days of an incident. The release of the body-worn camera footage in this incident was delayed to allow investigators to conduct witness interviews. The Independent Investigations Division continues to investigate the circumstances of the fatal

Original news release: The Independent Investigations Division of the Maryland Office of the Attorney General is investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting that occurred in Frederick, Maryland, on Tuesday morning. On November 29, at approximately 2:10 a.m., deputies with the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home in the 5800 block of Haller Place after receiving a 911 call for an adult male attacking and stabbing his mother and father. Once on scene, deputies located the mother and father suffering from stab wounds and began providing medical aid. Additional sheriff’s deputies, officers with the Frederick City Police Department, and Maryland State Police Troopers responded to the area and located the suspect in the 5800 block of Zoe Lane. Officers began speaking with the man and gave him commands to “drop the knife.” One officer deployed a less-lethal beanbag shotgun round at the suspect. The suspect then rapidly moved toward officers. At that point, multiple officers deployed their taser and three deputies discharged their firearms, striking the man. Officers rendered aid, and the man was later pronounced dead on scene. A knife was recovered near the suspect at the shooting scene. The mother and father were
taken to area hospitals. The father was later pronounced dead. No officers were injured.

The Independent Investigations Division will generally release the name of the decedent and discharging officers within 48 hours of the incident, though that period may be extended if there is a specific reason to believe that an officer’s safety is at risk. The deputies who discharged their firearms were not equipped with body-worn cameras. Other officers on the scene were wearing body-worn cameras, which recorded portions of the incident. The Independent Investigations Division will generally release body camera footage within 14 days of an incident. There may be situations where more than 14 days is necessary, including if investigators need more time to complete witness interviews, if there are technical delays caused by the need to shield the identities of civilian witnesses, or to allow family members to view the video before it is released to the public.


You may also like

Leave a Comment


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy