The annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, a partnership of the City of Gaithersburg & the Montgomery County Community Action Agency, is now accepting appointments to prepare 2022 taxes. Casey Community Center will host a VITA site on Mondays from 3 to 8 p.m. beginning on January 23, 2023.
The VITA program offers free tax preparation assistance to low- & moderate-income individuals who earn $60,000 or less per year. Preparation is done by IRS-trained volunteers who assist taxpayers in determining if they are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit & other tax credits. Services are offered in both English & Spanish. Appointments are available January 23 through April 14. Additional information below:
Book an Appointment Online
Securely upload all required documents without leaving your home. Certified tax preparers are available to file your taxes for free. Now preparing 2022 federal & state returns.
Required Documents: The IRS will not allow VITA to prepare taxes without required documentation.
Be prepared to provide the following to your appointment:
- A Social Security card and/or ITIN for EACH family member. We cannot use prior year files to verify Social Security numbers.
- A photo ID for each filer.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2022.
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number.
- All banking account information (a voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund (or set up an account through our Bank On Gaithersburg program).
- A copy of last year’s tax return.
- Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or state.
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any.
- Any other tax related documents you have received.
- If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
- If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2022, through Medicare/Medicaid, or through your employer, you should receive a Form 1095-A, B, and/or C. Please bring this form with you to complete your 2021 federal tax return.
- If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2022 federal tax return.
- If you are married & filing jointly, your spouse must be present. If you are married & filing separately, you need your spouse’s name as spelled on his/her Social Security card & your spouse’s Social Security number.