Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) were called to the scene of a fire on the 14400 block of Big Bear Court, off of Bel Pre Road and Layhill Rd, in what is considered Aspen Hill/Silver Spring on Saturday morning.
According to MCFRS Chief Spokesperson Pete Piringer in one of two basement apartments (unoccupied at the time of the fire) of a two-story single family home. Units were able to quickly extinguish the fire after arriving and it is believed that the cause likely involved the dishwasher that was located in the basement kitchen. It extended to nearby cabinets and melted the water line of an unattended ‘de facto’ sprinkler, according to Piringer. One person was displaced and approximately $200k in damage was incurred. Featured photo courtesy of Google Maps.
Update (~10a 3/18) 14400blk Big Bear Ct, Layhill; 2-sty house w/ 2 basement apts; unoccupied at time; Origin/Cause, basement kitchen, likely involved dishwasher (hardwired power), extended to cabinets (melted water line, unattended ‘de facto’ sprinkler; Damage ~$200K; 1 displaced https://t.co/rHArvUuace
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) March 19, 2023