Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) were called to the scene of a fire beteeen two homes on Smoketree Rd and Post Oak Rd On Wednesday, according to MCFRS Public Information Officer Pete Piringer.
The cause of the fire was a 50 foot light duty extension cord that was charging a Chevy Volt electric vehicle. The cord overheated and melted, which caused a short that ignited the nearby dried brush. The fire spread to the nearby trees, leaves, and fence, when a neighbor noticed it and called 911. Crews were able to quickly put out the fire without much damage.
MCFRS advises to visit the county website regarding residential electric vehicle charging stations and when you need a permit.
(11/9) Smoketree Rd & Post Oak Rd,Potomac, @mcfrs PE733 encountered fence, some trees & leaves burning between 2 houses. Cause, 50ft light duty extention cord charging chevy volt. (Cord overheated, melted & caused a short, igniting dried brush) A passerby neighbor called 911. pic.twitter.com/l1pKirsLrR
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) November 9, 2022