”Shady Grove and Rockville stations have reopened!” proclaimed Metro in a recent post on its website and social media.
Per Metro, “Here is everything you need to know about service at the reopened stations and fun facts about the project.”
Customers at Rockville Station now benefit from a new steel canopy structure and several customer experience improvements including:
- Brighter, more efficient LED lights
- New digital screens for passenger information
- Upgraded speakers for station announcements
At both stations, customers will experience new, modernized faregates with larger displays and enhanced safety features.
- Red Line service has resumed at Shady Grove and Rockville stations.
- Metrobus and RideOn will continue to stop at their current temporary locations at Rockville Station until February.
- SmarTrip cards purchased before 2012 do not work with the new faregates at both stations — learn how to get a replacement card.
- Some parking remains temporarily closed at both stations.
- Federal law requires wearing a face mask on public transit.
Five things to know now that Shady Grove and Rockville stations have reopened:
1. Red Line service resumes
- Learn about Metrorail service levels and hours and use Trip Planner to plan your upcoming trip.
- Free shuttle bus service will not be offered after January 15.
2. Buses will continue to stop at their temporary locations at Rockville Station until February.
3. SmarTrip cards purchased before 2012 will not work with the new faregates.
4. Some parking will remain temporarily closed and parking will remain free until the lots reopen at each station.
- The West Kiss & Ride lots at Shady Grove and Rockville stations will remain closed while the construction site is cleaned up. Use the East Kiss & Ride lots for passenger pick up/drop off.
- Rockville Station customers will experience ongoing parking closures as Metro continues to improve the station’s parking facilities.
5. Federal law requires wearing a face mask on public transit.
- Keep your nose and mouth covered on trains, buses and in stations.