”Shady Grove and Rockville stations have reopened!” proclaimed Metro in a recent post on its website and social media.
Per Metro, “Here is everything you need to know about service at the reopened stations and fun facts about the project.”
- Brighter, more efficient LED lights
- New digital screens for passenger information
- Upgraded speakers for station announcements
At both stations, customers will experience new, modernized faregates with larger displays and enhanced safety features.
- Red Line service has resumed at Shady Grove and Rockville stations.
- Metrobus and RideOn will continue to stop at their current temporary locations at Rockville Station until February.
- SmarTrip cards purchased before 2012 do not work with the new faregates at both stations — learn how to get a replacement card.
- Some parking remains temporarily closed at both stations.
- Federal law requires wearing a face mask on public transit.
Five things to know now that Shady Grove and Rockville stations have reopened:
1. Red Line service resumes
- Learn about Metrorail service levels and hours and use Trip Planner to plan your upcoming trip.
- Free shuttle bus service will not be offered after January 15.
2. Buses will continue to stop at their temporary locations at Rockville Station until February.
- The West Kiss & Ride lots at Shady Grove and Rockville stations will remain closed while the construction site is cleaned up. Use the East Kiss & Ride lots for passenger pick up/drop off.
- Rockville Station customers will experience ongoing parking closures as Metro continues to improve the station’s parking facilities.
- Keep your nose and mouth covered on trains, buses and in stations.