Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) were called to the scene of of a fire at a two-story townhouse on the 900 block of Wild Forest Drive (off of Travis Ave) at approximately 2am on Monday morning, according to MCFRS PIO Pete Piringer.
The occupants of the home were asleep when they were awakened by smoke coming from portable battery charger that was charging a tablet on the floor. When they attempted to to pick up the smoking charger, and dropped it, flames shot out to start the fire. The family gathered and exited the home, with the last person out closing the door, which confined the fire to the room of origin.
The reason for the charger malfunction is currently unknown at this time. There were no injuries, but the fire did cause approximately $125K in damages and 8 people (5 adults and 3 children) have been displaced.
Featured photo courtesy of Google Maps.
Update – Wild Forest Dr; TH; smoke & fire showing upon arrival (fire ‘vented’ thru window as FFs arrived); residents awaken by smoke; Cause, unk malfunction of portable charging device; Origin, (tablet) portable battery charger (on floor); Damage, ~$125K; Displaced 5adults/3kids https://t.co/r8W7JJgbFY
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) July 4, 2022