Per Gaithersburg Police: Thefts of catalytic converters is part of a national crime trend that we have seen occur in the City. This theft can be accomplished in a matter of seconds. Here are a few prevention tips:
• Park in well-lit areas if possible
• Install an anti-theft device such as a steel shield that fits over the catalytic converter, a locking cable device that secures the converter to your car or a cage made of rebar or other high-strength steel that’s difficult to cut
• Install motion-sensing lights and cameras in your parking area
• If you have a garage, park your car there with the door closed
• Consider engraving your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the converter
• Report suspicious activity to the police by calling the non-emergency number at (301) 279 – 8000
How do you know if your catalytic converter was stolen?
You may not be able to tell if your converter was stolen by looking at your car, but you will as soon as you start the engine. When the converter has been removed, your vehicle will make a loud roaring sound that will get louder as you push the gas pedal; or you will notice it’s not driving as smoothly.