Takoma Park will be holding a household hazardous waste drop-off event on Saturday, June 4 from 10am-2pm at the Public Works Yard (31 Oswego Ave). Takoma Park residents can drop off household hazardous waste for free, non-residents will be charged a $10 fee (check only).
Per the City of Takoma Park:
Participants will be asked to follow these steps:
- All participants must wear a mask – no exceptions.
- Enter from the Oswego Avenue entrance only, exit out the
- Follow the guidance of the staff directing traffic.
- All hazardous materials for drop-off must be in the trunk of the car or back of a pickup trunk only – no materials will be taken out of the interior of your car.
- City staff will remove the hazardous materials from the trunk or pick up truck – participants must stay in their cars at all times.
What Can Be Accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day in Takoma Park?
- Aerosol cans containing hazardous products
- Antifreeze and hydraulic fluids (5-gallon limit)
- Batteries: lithium, lithium-ion, nickel-cadmium, car (lead acid)
- Brake fluid
- Charcoal containing flammable agents
- Driveway sealant, tar
- Gasoline, gas-oil mixes, kerosene
- Herbicides, insecticides, and pesticides
- Fluorescent light tubes and ballast
- Thermostats and thermometers containing mercury
- Oil-based paints, paint thinners and solvents
- Photographic chemicals
Not sure if your materials are accepted, use the Waste Wizard
The Following Household Hazardous Waste Items Will Not Be Accepted :
- Latex paint
- Commercial, industrial, or medical wastes
- Compressed gas cylinders or radioactive materials