Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, November 17, 2021
Looking for a safe and fun outdoor family event for the holidays? The Montgomery County Thanksgiving Parade will usher in the holiday season this Saturday, Nov. 20 at 10 a.m. The parade kicks off with the thrilling sounds of marching bands, spinners with gold and orange hoops and streamers, and Thanksgiving-themed costumes and units, as well as a 12-foot turkey.
Families in attendance will be able to socially distance themselves, as the parade route continues for a mile along Ellsworth Drive, to and along Georgia Avenue, ending at Silver Spring Ave. The best area for those seeking more personal space is Georgia Avenue, since Ellsworth Drive can become quite crowded. All attendees are encouraged to wear masks to keep the community, our neighbors, and our young people safe.
Road Closures and Parking Information
The Northbound and Southbound lanes of Georgia Avenue, from East-West Highway to Colesville Road will close at 6 a.m. and reopen at tthe conclusion of the parade, about 1 p.m. Traffic should detour to East West Highway.
The following roads will be closed on Saturday, Nov. 20, from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- North and Southbound Georgia Ave. between East-West Highway and Colesville Road.
- Cedar Avenue between Colesville Road and Wayne Avenue.
- Pershing Drive from Cedar Avenue to Veterans Place.
- Veterans Place from Pershing to Ellsworth Drive.
- Ellsworth Drive from Georgia to Cedar Avenues.
- Roeder Road from Fenton Street to Cedar Avenue.
- Fenton St. from Cameron St. to Wayne Avenue.
- Wayne Avenue from Georgia Ave. to Fenton Street.
- Bonifant St. from Georgia Ave. to Fenton Street.
- Thayer Ave. from Georgia Ave. to Fenton Street.
- Silver Spring Ave. from Georgia Ave. to Fenton Street.
The Town Center public parking garage at Ellsworth Drive will close at 2 a.m. Saturday morning to accommodate the parade. The Wayne Avenue garage will also close beginning at 8 a.m. Garages will reopen by 2 p.m.
Free parking will be available in the public garages including the Sligo Avenue Garage, the Cameron Street Garage, and the Bonifant Street Garage next to Metro. The Ellsworth Town Center garage and Wayne Avenue garage are CLOSED that day.
Parade goers are encouraged to take the Metro/Red Line to the Silver Spring station.
More information about the parade can be found at: https://www.silverspringdowntown.com/montgomery-county-thanksgiving-parade.