2020 Quince Orchard graduate Marquez Cooper has earned his first all-conference (Mid-American Conference) after posting the sixth 1,300+ yard season in Kent State football history.
In high school, Cooper led Quince Orchard to a 12-1 record and the No. 11 ranking in the state of Maryland. He helped the team to a 2019 MPSSAA 4A state semifinal appearance, rushing for 2,897 yards and 51 touchdowns in just two years of high school football.
This season, Cooper finished second in the MAC and 14th in the FBS with 1,331 yards. Cooper’s 13 rushing touchdowns are top-10 all time in a season for the Flashes. Cooper averaged over 130 yards per game in conference games (132.7) and he had the sixth 240+ yard game in program history in the victory over Ohio. He and WR Dante Cephas became the only tandem in FBS history to each have over 240 yards in the same game. Season highlights:
- Started season opener at Washington, rushed 11 times for 36 yards and a touchdown
- Started at #7 Oklahoma, carried the ball 22 times for 55 yards and had 1 catch for 22 yards
- Started home opener against LIU, had 18 carries for 89 yards and 2 touchdowns
- Started at #1 Georgia, rushed 21 times for 90 yards and a touchdown, caught 2 passes for 40 yards
- Started MAC opener against Ohio, set new career highs with 40 carries for 240 yards. Rushed for two touchdowns and became just the fourth Kent State player to rush for 240 or more yards in a game
- Started at Miami and rushed 13 times for 32 yards, caught 1 pass for 9 yards
- Started at Toledo, carried the ball 31 times for 166 yards and 2 touchdowns
- Started in Wagon Wheel victory over Akron, rushing 28 times for 137 yards
- Started against Ball State, carried the ball 32 times for 170 yards and a touchdown
- Started at Bowling Green, had 19 rushes for 93 yards, as well as 2 catches for 26 yards
- Started against Eastern Michigan, carried the ball 20 times for 80 yards and 2 touchdowns
- Started at Buffalo, rushed 30 times for 145 yards and 2 touchdowns
- Cracked the top 10 in school history for multiple single-season rushing totals: attempts (285, 2nd), yards (1331, 5th) and touchdowns (13, T-7th)