MCPS has sent out a community message with seven things to know for today, Thursday, Feb. 17.
They include updates on the recommended FY 2023 operating budget, information about COVID-19 rapid test kits, inclement weather make-up plans, safety and social-emotional supports and more.
- Strategic Additions to the FY 2023 Operating Budget Investments Discussed with the Board of Education
On Feb. 14, the Board of Education received an update on the FY 2023 recommended operating budget, including:
- additional investments to support security in schools;
- Supports for students’ and staff’s social-emotional well-being and mental health, including telehealth services;
- Communications and community engagement enhancements;
- and more.
- The annual MCPS operating budget;
- One-time funds provided through the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund(ESSER);
- Blueprint for Maryland’s Future (also known as Kirwan), which provides money to school districts in targeted areas.
- Masks Still Required in MCPS Schools and Offices
Although Montgomery County is scheduled to lift mask mandates after Feb. 21, MCPS currently is maintaining its mask mandate for students and staff. The school system will review all available information and consult with local health officials about any change to this mandate in the coming days. Any changes to guidance will be communicated immediately.
- COVID-19 At-Home Rapid Tests Being Distributed
MCPS continues to distribute rapid test kits to all students and staff every 3 weeks through the month of March. These kits are an important part of ongoing efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus.Staff and parents of students are reminded to report positive test results through the MCPS COVID-19 Reporting Tool. (Reminder: these are nasal (nose) rapid test kits, please refer to the directions included in the kits prior to use)
- VIDEO: directions for use of COVID-19 rapid test kit
- Inclement Weather Day Make-Up Plan to be Released Next Week
MCPS closed schools due to inclement weather on Jan. 3, 4, 7 and 20, in addition to adding a planned system wide closure on Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021. These closures mean that MCPS must make up three instructional days to meet the required 180 days of instruction. The plan for making up the days will be shared with families next week.
- Safety, Security and Well-Being Parent Voice Forums
As part of the ongoing well-being, safety, and security review in all MCPS schools, district staff will be engaging parents from various school communities in the coming weeks in parent interest forums.
The conversations will cover:
- Mental Health and Social-Emotional Well-Being
- Creating Safe and Equitable School Environments
- Safety, Security and Community Engagement Officer Program Enhancements
More information will be shared as forums are scheduled. Learn more about the work..
- Upcoming Antiracist Audit Survey Reminder
All students in Grade 4 through Grade 12 will take an age-appropriate, anonymous survey in school between March 1 and March 31. Each school will decide on the date to administer the survey.
- To opt your student out of this survey, complete this form and submit it no later than 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 21, 2022.
- These resources will explain the survey:
- The video that all students will see right before they take the survey
- Brief overview of the Antiracist System Audit (also in español / 中文 / français / Português / 한국어 / tiếng Việt / አማርኛ)
- Explanation of what the survey will look like
- Frequently Asked Questions (also in español / 中文 / français / Português / 한국어 / tiếng Việt / አማርኛ)
- No MCPS Schools Entering 10-Day Virtual Learning Period
No schools will transition to virtual learning next week. MCPS will continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 and school operations on in-person learning and, if necessary, identify schools for temporary virtual learning.