Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) and Montgomery County emergency responders will conduct a full-scale emergency response exercise at Wheaton Station on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2023 from opening until approximately 2 p.m. Members of the public may notice a large number of emergency vehicles on site. Please be assured that this is only an exercise.
The exercise will take place inside the tunnel between Wheaton and Forest Glen and will simulate real-world conditions to test the operational and evacuation coordination, and interagency communication between MTPD, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, Montgomery County Police, Metrorail and Metrobus operations staff, on-scene responders and support personnel.
- Wheaton Station will be closed for the duration of the exercise.
- Northbound Metrobus Q1, Q4, Q5, Y2, Y8: buses will serve customers at stop T4 along northbound Veirs Mill Road.
- Southbound Metrobus Q1, Q2, Q4, Y2, Y7, Y8: buses will serve customers at bus stops T3 along southbound Georgia Avenue adjacent to the station bus loop.
- Metrobus C4; Montgomery County Ride On 8, 9, 34: buses will serve customers at bus stops along the northbound Veirs Mill Road curb adjacent to the station bus loop.
- Free shuttle buses will operate between Wheaton and Forest Glen from opening until 2 p.m. to accommodate customers traveling to or from Wheaton Metro Station.
- Free shuttle buses are operating at T3, the Montgomery County Ride On 38 at T2 and the Montgomery County Ride On 48 at T1.
- Metrobus service to the station will operate normally.
Metro will notify customers when normal service resumes via email, text message and social media.