Montgomery County Recreation will host family-friendly events this fall season, ranging from fall festivals to swimming with pumpkins. The October events will be hosted at community recreation centers, senior centersand aquatic facilities across the County.
Fall special events hosted by Montgomery County Recreation this fall include:
- Saturday, Oct. 15. Noon-3 p.m. Chevy Chase Fall Festival. Jane E. Lawton Community Recreation Center, 4301 Willow Lane, Chevy Chase. Activities include a pumpkin patch, moon bounce, face painting and games. Free for all ages.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 Pumpkin Derby. A Pumpkin Derby is a unique, side-by-side race featuring handcrafted, decorated Pumpkin Racers in a funky, hilarious, suspenseful and dramatic display of ingenuity. Bring your pumpkins already decorated. Registration is required with a program fee of $20. With your registration, you can pick up racer kits at the Mid-County or Ross Boddy community recreation centers. Events will take place at 10 a.m. at the Mid-County Community Recreation Center at 2004 Queensguard Rd. in Silver Spring and at 11:30 a.m. at the Ross Boddy Community Recreation Center at 18529 Brooke Rd. in Sandy Spring.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Fall Festival at North Potomac. Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, 13850 Travilah Rd., Rockville. Celebrate at this annual fall festival. Registration is required.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 4-6 p.m. Coffield Family Fall Festival. Gwendolyn. E. Coffield Community Recreation Center, Lyttonsville Road, Silver Spring. Ghouls and goblins will greet attendees dressed in Halloween costumes. Prizes will be awarded. Enjoy games, a dance party and treats.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 4-7 p.m. Trunk or Treat. Marilyn J. Praisner Community Recreation Center, 14906 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville. Join trick-or-treating, a costume contest and arts and crafts. Planning to decorate your vehicle. Register by Friday, Oct. 14.
- Various dates: Floating Pumpkin Patch. Ever picked a pumpkin in a swimming pool? For $5 per person, children ages 2-12 will have the chance to swim around to pick a pumpkin and then decorate it. Events will take place at Martin Luther King Jr. Swim Center, 1201 Jackson Rd., Silver Spring from 4:30-6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22; Olney Swim Center, 16605 Georgia Ave., Olney, from 7:30-9 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29; and at the Eunice Kennedy and Sargeant Shriver Aquatic Center, 5900 Executive Blvd., North Bethesda, from 10-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29, and Sunday, Oct. 30.
- Saturday, Oct. 29. 6:30-9:30 p.m. Therapeutic Recreation Saturday Night Social – Halloween Howl Dance. Holiday Park Senior Center, 3950 Ferrara Dr., Wheaton. Annual Halloween costume extravaganza for ages 15-and-over with disabilities. Event will feature a DJ, dancing, games, pizza and other refreshments. Pre-registration is encouraged.
- Sunday Oct 30, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Masquerade Jazz Brunch. Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center, 14625 Bauer Dr., Rockville. Seniors are welcome to enjoy a wonderful brunch with a festive Halloween twist. Come dressed to impress and ready to dance as you will have an opportunity to enjoy the musical performance by Dick Kaufman and the Glenn Pearson Band. $20 per person.
Registration for events can be completed online at ActiveMONTGOMERY.org. Not all events require registration.