Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Thursday, May 19, 2022
Montgomery County has expanded its public education and government programming with the launch of a new high-definition (HD) Montgomery County Public Schools TV (MCPS-TV) cable channel through cable provider Comcast. The new addition, which began broadcasting on May 4, is Xfinity Channel 1071.
The new HD channel joins four other County HD channels and nine standard-definition (SD) channels available through Xfinity TV. The channels are part of the Connect Montgomery Alliance (CMA) that provides a variety of programming focused on local issues.
MCPS-TV airs mental health awareness programs such as “Mindful Moments” and “MCPS Waymaking,” as well as live coverage of County Board of Education meetings and Superintendent’s Community Conversations.
“We are excited to officially broadcast MCPS-TV produced programs and other educational programming for the MCPS community in high-definition through Comcast,” said Dick Lipsky, supervisor of MCPS-TV. “Our ability to acquire an HD channel demonstrates our commitment to serving MCPS students, parents and staff.”
MCPS-TV programming also is available in SD on Xfinity Channel 34. It had been sharing programming in HD with Montgomery College TV (MCTV) on Xfinity Channel 998. The addition of MCPS-TV’s new HD channel gives both Montgomery County Public Schools and Montgomery College 24 hours of programming on independent channels.
“We’re proud of our role in allocating this HD channel through Comcast to Montgomery County Public Schools,” said Gail Roper, the chief information officer of TEBS. “The Technology and Enterprise Business Solutions department is dedicated to connecting residents to the technologies that enhance their lives. Whether it is lightning-fast fiber, affordable broadband options, or in this case, local cable TV content which represents one of the most trusted, reliable and easily accessible ways for residents to get information.”
The five County HD channels on Xfinity TV now include:
- 995: MCM—Montgomery County’s community television channel
- 996: CCM—County Cable Montgomery, the County Government cable channel
- 997: MMCTV—Municipalities Rockville 11 and Takoma Park TV shared channel
- 998: MCTV—Montgomery Community College channel
- 1071: MCPS-TV—Montgomery County Public Schools TV
The County’s nine standard definition channels on Xfinity TV include:
- 6: CCM—County Cable Montgomery, the County Government cable channel
- 10: MCTV—Montgomery Community College channel (currently serves as the County’s COVID-19 channel)
- 11: Rockville 11—City of Rockville channel
- 13: Takoma Park TV—City of Takoma Park channel
- 16: MMC TV—Maryland Municipal League channel
- 19, 21: MCM—Montgomery Community Media channels
- 27: City of Gaithersburg
- 33: Condado TV—Serves as County’s Spanish language channel
- 34: MCPS-TV—Montgomery County Public Schools TV
To learn more about the County’s public education and government cable channels, visit the Connect Montgomery Alliance (CMA) website at https://connectmontgomery.com.
# # #