Montgomery County Helping Low Income Households With Past Due Water Bills

by Patrick Herron

LIHWAP is a one-time benefit grant of $100 – $2,000 that can be paid toward residential water and/or wastewater accounts that have accumulated arrearages. Arrearages must be a minimum of at least $100 and 30 days old to apply. LIHWAP will assist in the payment of arrearages for immediate restoration of residential water and/or wastewater services and/or to prevent the disconnection of service by placing the account back in good standing.

“No one should have to worry about not being able to pay for something as essential as water,” said Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich. “Through these funds, we can relieve some of the pressure that working families are facing and provide greater peace of mind that basic needs are being met. I encourage any Montgomery County family that qualifies to apply today and get the relief you deserve.”

Funding for LIHWAP is being distributed through the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 and American Rescue Plan and was developed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is administered at the federal level by the Division of Energy Assistance within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families.

In order to receive LIHWAP funds, an applicant must be a Montgomery County resident who is responsible for a water and/or wastewater bill issued by a public water system or treatment works. The applicant must meet program eligibility such as income, residency, and application completeness. The total household income may not exceed the gross income threshold which is 60 percent of the State Median Income, or $6,000/month for a family of four. Full program eligibility and links to applications are available here.

Applications can be submitted with or without an energy assistance application through the Office of Home Energy Programs. If a resident has already received benefits for energy assistance, they can still apply for water assistance by submitting a new LIHWAP application.

Applicants can apply online through the myMDTHink.govportal or in-person at 1301 Piccard Dr., fourth floor in Rockville. Please note limited staffing is available on-site and applicants who can are encouraged to use the portal. For additional information, please email or call 1-800-332-6347.

# # #


You may also like

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy