Per Montgomery County: Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich is pleased to partner with several County agencies as well as Silver Spring Cares Inc. and CHEER to host a coat drive and distribution to support the Long Branch community. Coat collection will take place Dec. 27 – Jan. 5 at locations across the County. Individuals can also make a monetary contribution via GoFundMe.
“As we can tell from recent weather, having a proper winter coat is very important; unfortunately, for many County families they are costly purchases,” said County Executive Elrich. “I encourage everyone to donate new or gently used coats at this time of the year. I want to thank Silver Spring Cares Inc., CHEER, along with the Montgomery County Police, Montgomery County Recreation and the Silver Spring Regional Services Center for providing this easy and accessible opportunity to help out our neighbors most in need.”
You can drop off new or gently used coats at the following locations starting Tuesday, Dec. 27:
- Germantown Community Recreation Center, 18905 Kingsview Road, Germantown
- Long Branch Community Recreation Center, 8700 Piney Branch Rd., Silver Spring
- Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, 13850 Travilah Road, Rockville
- Potomac Community Recreation Center, 11315 Falls Road, Potomac
- Wheaton Community Recreation Center, 11701 Georgia Ave., Wheaton
- White Oak Community Recreation Center, 1700 April Lane, Silver Spring
- 3rd District Police Headquarters, 1002 Milestone Dr., Silver Spring
Please note these Community Recreation Centers will be operating on a holiday schedule Dec. 27 – 31 and closed on Jan. 1 and 2.
The goal is to collect more than 500 gently used winter coats of all sizes. Free coats will be distributed to those in need on Friday, Jan. 6, from 4 – 7 p.m. at Long Branch Community Recreation Center.
Coats will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, with a limit of one coat per person. The recipient must be present to receive coat. Registration is not required.
The coat drive is being coordinated by Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich, Montgomery County Police, Montgomery County Recreation, the Silver Spring Regional Services Center, Silver Spring Cares Inc. and CHEER.
# # #