Per Montgomery County:
Montgomery County Recreation will host family-friendly events for everyone to enjoy during the fall season. From fall festivals to swimming with pumpkins, events will be hosted at community recreation centers, senior centers and aquatic facilities across the County throughout October.
Fall special events hosted by Montgomery County Recreation this year include:
- Saturday, Oct. 15. Noon-3 p.m. Chevy Chase Fall Festival. Jane E. Lawton Community Recreation Center, 4301 Willow Lane, Chevy Chase. Activities include a pumpkin patch, moon bounce, face painting and games. The event is free for all ages.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. Pumpkin Derby. A Pumpkin Derby is a unique, side-by-side race featuring handcrafted, decorated Pumpkin Racers in a funky, hilarious, suspenseful and dramatic display of ingenuity. Bring pumpkins already decorated. Registration is required with a program fee of $20. With registration, you can pick up racer kits at the Mid-County or Ross Boddy community recreation centers. Events will take place at 10 a.m. at the Mid-County Community Recreation Center, 2004 Queensguard Road, Silver Spring, and at 11:30 a.m. at the Ross Boddy Community Recreation Center, 18529 Brooke Rd., Sandy Spring.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Ross Boddy Fall Harvest Festival. Ross Boddy Community Recreation Center, 18529 Brooke Road, Sandy Spring. event will feature crafts, games and a pumpkin derby race.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Fall Festival at North Potomac. Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, 13850 Travilah Rd., Rockville. Registration is required.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 4-6 p.m. Coffield Family Fall Festival. Gwendolyn. E. Coffield Community Recreation Center, Lyttonsville Road, Silver Spring. Come dressed in Halloween costumes to win a prize. Enjoy games, a dance party and treats.
- Saturday, Oct. 22. 4-7 p.m. Trunk or Treat at Marilyn J. Praisner Community Recreation Center, 14906 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville. Trick-or-treating, a costume contest, arts and crafts. Planning to decorate your vehicle? Register by Friday, Oct. 14.
- October. Floating Pumpkin Patch. Ever picked a pumpkin in a swimming pool? For $5 per person, children ages 2-12 years will have the chance to swim around to pick a pumpkin and then decorate it. The event will take place at Martin Luther King Jr. Swim Center, 1201 Jackson Road, Silver Spring, from 4:30-6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22; Olney Swim Center, 16605 Georgia Ave., Olney, from 7:30-9 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29; and at the Eunice Kennedy and Sargeant Shriver Aquatic Center, 5900 Executive Boulevard, North Bethesda from 10-11:30 a.m. on Oct. 29 and Oct. 30.
- Friday, Oct. 28. 7-9:30 p.m. Upper County Costume Movie Night. Upper County Community Recreation Center, 8201 Emory Grove Road, Germantown. Join a night of fun and make sure to wear your favorite, family friendly, costume. Bring your own blanket or chair.
- Saturday, Oct. 29. 6:30-9:30 p.m. Therapeutic Recreation Saturday Night Social: Halloween Howl Dance. Holiday Park Senior Center, 3950 Ferrara Drive, Wheaton. Annual Halloween costume extravaganza. Special event for ages 15 and up with disabilities will feature a DJ, dancing, games, pizza and other refreshments. Pre-registration is encouraged.
- Sunday Oct 30. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Masquerade Jazz Brunch, Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center, 14625 Bauer Drive, Rockville. Seniors can enjoy a wonderful brunch with a festive Halloween twist. Come dressed to impress and ready to dance as you will have an opportunity to enjoy the musical performance by Dick Kaufman and the Glenn Pearson Band. $25 per person.
- Monday, Oct. 31. 5 – 7 p.m. Bette Carol Thompson Scotland. Fall Harvest Festival. 7700 Scotland Drive, Potomac. Costume contest, giveaways, arts and crafts.
Registration for events can be completed online at ActiveMONTGOMERY.org. Not all events require registration. Registration for fall programs also is currently underway.