Montgomery County Residents Can Receive Up to $12,000 in Rental Assistance

by Patrick Herron

Per Montgomery County:

The COVID-19 Rent Relief Program provides short-term rental assistance to eligible households who have experienced lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has caused them to fall behind on their rent. The program is managed by the County’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) with funding from the Department of Treasury’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

While funds are available, the program will provide up to $12,000 to eligible households to pay for back rent owed and/or pay for up to three months of future rent.  For households below 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI), additional financial help may be available.  Funds awarded will take into account any other local, state, or federal assistance received to pay rent.

1. Apply for Rental Assistance – up to $12,000 available

Review Eligibility and document requirements at the website

  • Apply for rental assistance online at that site.
  • If you need assistance in completing the application call 311 or 240-777-0311. Landlords also can help complete applications.

2. Call a Support Organization for free help:

3. Steps to take if you get a court summons or judgment:

  1. Call for free help to access rights and protections:
  2. Apply for rental assistance or update your application:
    • If you haven’t applied for rental assistance, apply at Include a copy or photo of your court summons or judgment (or red-and-white notice) and answer “yes” to the question asking if you have a current hearing notice from the District Court, a Court Judgment or a notice from the Sheriff’s office for eviction.
    • If you already applied for rental assistance, send an update about court status to get priority. Send email to: HSS@montgomerycountymd.govwith your rent application case number and a copy or photo of your court summons or judgment (or red-and-white notice on your door).
  3. Call 311 (240-777-0311) and ask for Housing Stabilization Assistance.
  4. If you are called to court ➔ Come to court!
    • You must appear in court to present a defense and get your paperwork from Court. Then, ask one of the organizations listed above about the next step you should take.

You cannot be forced to leave your apartment without a court order and the presence of the Sheriff. If you have questions about a notice from your landlord, call 311 (240-777-0311), Office of Landlord-Tenant Affairs.



You may also like

Leave a Comment


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy