Montgomery Parks, part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, announces its July line-up of special events, including Park and Recreation Month, Latino Conservation Week and Shakespeare under the stars
July Events at Montgomery Parks Include:
Parks Playhouse Junior | July 6, 14, 19, 30 | Various locations
The Parks Playhouse Junior series continues in July. On Wednesday, July 6, at 10:00 a.m. at South Germantown Recreational Park with a concert featuring popular musician, Kidsinger Jim, “Kidsinger Jim Goes Green”. Other performances include
- Thursday, July 14, Ellsworth Urban Park, featuring Silly Goose Goes Green, with ventriloquism, music and dancing
- Tuesday, July 19, Falls Road Local Park, featuring The New Orchestra of Washington Music Workshop
- Saturday, July 30, Edgewood Neighborhood Park, featuring The Puppet Co. giving a performance of Rapunzel.
All performances ages three and up. Free.
Skate Night | Friday, July 8 | Olney Manor Skate Park
Perfect your tricks and catch some air at Skate Night. This Skate Night is a celebration of female skaters! Four regional skaters a will be on-hand to answer questions and perform demos from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Food will be available for purchase from Dizzy Cow Pizzeria. Live music and giveaways throughout the evening. Open to skaters of all abilities. Free.
Black America and the Untold Stories of Our Country’s Gardeners, Farmers and Growers | Saturday, July 9 | Brookside Gardens
Join Abra Lee, speaker, writer, and founder of Conquer the Soil, to learn about the legacy of the untold trailblazers, leaders, and visionaries in the world of horticulture on July 9 from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. Free. Registration required.
Twilight Trek | Saturday, July 9 | Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park
This is an evening version of our popular guided hikes on the Underground Railroad Experience Trail from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Learn about the experience of 19th century freedom seekers and Montgomery County residents. Discover techniques used to navigate the way north to freedom including the challenges and opportunities nighttime travel presented. Woodlawn Museum admission included. Intended for ages 7 and up. Fee $8 per person. Registrationrequired.
Macbeth | July 12 and 22 | Various Locations
“Double, double, toil and trouble!” Join us for double performances of Macbeth.
- Tuesday, July 12, Brookside Gardens, 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Shakespeare in the Garden. Join us in the Gude Garden for a night of murder, revenge, and descent into madness. Bring a picnic or purchase a meal from food trucks.
- Friday, July 22, Meadowside Nature Center, 7:15 to 9:00 p.m. Prince George’s Shakespeare in the Park Presents: The Tragedy of Macbeth. Inspired by the novel-turned-movie Gangs of New York, this 1850’s interpretation features some of the region’s best stage combat artists and seasoned actors. Paired with Shakespeare’s iconic language, this fast paced 90-minute adaptation will leave audiences breathless. Bring your lawn chair or blanket, a picnic, and enjoy the Bard under the stars.
Latino Conservation Week | July 16 – 24 | Various Locations
The goal of this week, founded in 2014 and observed nationwide, is to inspire the next generation of environmental stewards. As the Latino population grows, the community’s role as stewards is critical to the future success and preservation of our nation’s public lands. All events are free. Latino Conservation Week events include:
- Friday, July 15, Long Branch-Arliss Neighborhood Park, Parks Playhouse: Comedy as a Second Language, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. An interactive comedy show featuring the stand-up comedy of immigrant and first-generation performers from Improbable Comedy.
- Saturday, July 16, Wheaton Regional Park, 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. Latino Conservation Week Kick-off Fiesta! Enjoy local food trucks, Zumba from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., local organizations sharing resources, and activities for all ages. At 8:00 p.m. there will be a screening of Disney’s Encanto (with Spanish subtitles). Guests are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and picnic blankets.
- Monday, July 18, Long Branch-Arliss Neighborhood Park, Kids Tree Climbing, 10:00 a.m.to 12:00 p.m. Safety gear, assistance and encouragement provided.
- Tuesday, July 19, Lake Needwood Boats, Kayak on the Lake, 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Registration required.
- Wednesday, July 20, Brookside Nature Center, Turtle Talk, 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. Come meet some of our resident turtles at Brookside Nature Center’s outdoor box turtle enclosure. Learn fun facts about these interesting reptiles and some of the conservation challenges they face. Registration required.
- Wednesday, July 20, Crossroads Farmer’s Market in Takoma Park, Nature on Wheels, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Nature on Wheels is a natural science field station that brings nature programs and activities to anywhere in the county. Meet a naturalist, learn about wildlife, and explore nature with us!
- Thursday, July 21, Waring Station Local Park, Salsa in the Park, 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Salsa in the Park event will feature free dance lessons from Salsa with Silvia from 5 to 6 p.m., and live music by local band La Colombopercutiva from 6 to 8 p.m. Food and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) will be available for purchase from local vendors. Local community organizations will provide fun activities, giveaways, and resources.
- Saturday, July 23, Brookside Nature Center, Flying Squirrels (Ardillas Voladoras), 9:00 to 9:30 p.m. Maryland flying squirrels are abundant and active year-round, but rarely seen in the wild because they are nocturnal. Join a naturalist for a viewing program on the Nature Center deck at our squirrel feeding station 30 minutes after sunset. Rain cancels the program. Program presented in Spanish. Registration required.
- Sunday, July 24, Black Hill Regional Park, Pontoon Ride, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. Join Black Hill Nature Programs on a tour of Little Seneca Creek on a pontoon boat, as we look for beavers, herons, maybe even a bald eagle. All ages are welcome. Registration required.
Visit the Summer 2022 Montgomery Parks Program Guide or the Montgomery Parks event calendar to view a complete list of special events and programming and to learn how to sign up using ActiveMontgomery.