There have been major changes in the Kentlands in recent years and they’ll continue as new tenants come to town. Below is an update of some of the recent and upcoming changes.
- My Big Finds– My Big Finds, which offers unique gifts, one-of-a-kind decorative accents, vintage and reclaimed furniture and more, has signed a lease to move into 129 Commerce Square Place in the recently built paseo in the Kentlands neighborhood of Gaithersburg. It is currently located in a smaller space right next to its previous location on Market Street West
- Tutti Frutti– Tutti Frutti is in the process of transitioning its Kentlands location at 200 Kentlands Boulevard in Gaithersburg to Kung Fu Tea. The California-based chain frozen yogurt chain started in 2008 and has stores across the United States and in over 25 countries worldwide, and opened its Kentlands location in August 2020. The store is connected to neighboring restaurant, Bonchon. It has been offering both Tutti Frutti and Kung Fu Tea products, but today we were told that will be transitioning to be only a Kung Fu Tea in the coming weeks.
- Vine Alley– Located at 114 Market. St in Gaithersburg, the former home of the Kentlands Wine Harvest, opened on February 7 at 11:30am. Vine Alley is owned and operated by the restaurant group that owns Brew & Barrels (also located in Kentlands), Royal Tandoor (820 Muddy Branch Rd, Gaithersburg), and Taco Daddy (Frederick and formerly at 555 Quince Orchard Rd, Gaithersburg.) The Gaithersburg Wine Harvest closed in June of 2019 after 23 years. The Park Potomac Wine Harvest closed back in November 2020.
- Stretch Zone– The nation’s first and largest practitioner-assisted stretching company, continues expanding throughout the United States with its first Maryland location now open in the Kentlands neighborhood of Gaithersburg. Stretch Zone takes over the former GNC location at 251 Kentlands Blvd, the former home of GNC.
- Chopt– The customizable salad spot opened last month. The new restaurant is located next to MOD pizza on Commerce Square.
- Kentlands Photography Cafe– The Kentlands Photography Café at 309 Main St in Gaithersburg began food and beverage service beginning on Friday, February 4. According to the café, they will serve coffee and fresh baked goods in the morning, salads and sandwiches for lunch, and wine and charcuterie in the evening. The cafe will feature Lavazza coffee, wine, baked goods by Fresh Baguette, and food items from Vasili’s Kitchen and Gemelli’s Italian Market. The location has been open for retail business since December 14. This new venue serves as a photography gallery, cafe, photography bookstore, wine bar, as well as a space for classes and lectures.
- Neal’s Bagels– Neal’s Bagels has signed on for a new Kentlands location, according to the Kimco website. It will be located between two upcoming restaurants, Brio’s Chicken and Burton’s. The move from the previous location is not expected to occur until February of 2023.
- Skin Spirit– a medical spa, is coming soon to 215 Market St. W in the Kentlands. It will be taking over the location that was formerly home to My Big Finds, which is moving into the paseo area of Kentlands.
- Java Nation– Last January we let you know that Java Nation would be moving in to 121 Market Strert in the Kentlands neighborhood of Gaithersburg, which was formerly a Starbucks. Starbucks opened a new Kentlands location at 160 Kentlands Blvd at the beginning 2021 that features a drive-thru. Java Nation is best known for their house-roasted coffees, diverse food menu, and their wide variety of local craft beers, wines and artisan cocktails. Java Nation hopes to open by the end of March.
- Lapu Lapu– Construction has started at Lapu Lapu, the sister restaurant of popular Rockville/North Bethesda/Kensington restaurant Kuya Ja’s Lechon Belly. Lapu Lapu will be taking over the 325 square foot storefront that was formerly home to Tex-Mex restaurant Peppers, located next to Vasili’s. It will specialize in breakfast sandwiches. Per the restaurant’s Instagram account, Lapu Lapu is currently hiring and anticipates to open prior to spring.
- CVS– A new CVS building is under construction in the location that was once home to O’Donnell’s, Tommy Joe’s, Boulevard Tavern, and Brasserie Beck. Ht told building was demolished back in December. No expected opening date has been provided.
- Brio’s Chicken– Back in October of 2020, we let you know that Brio’s Chicken would be coming to the Kentlands neighborhood. The Peruvian chicken restaurant is taking one of the newly constructed storefronts found in the paseo in the Kentlands. It will be located right behind the old Wine Harvest location. Brio’s Chicken had a location in Aspen Hill in the Aspen Manor shopping center, where Outback is located, but that location is under new ownership and is now known as Gio’s Chicken. No projected opening date yet, but it’s still coming.
- Burton’s Grill and Bar– Construction is ongoing, as we stopped by yesterday to check on the progress. Burton’s was planning to open a Kentlands location in 2020 but the pandemic put everything on hold. This would be the first Burton’s restaurant in Montgomery County’s. They have nearby locations in Alexandria, Sterling, and Riverdale Park.
- Shake Shack– Included in the site plan from this past summer were renderings (shown below) of what Shake Shack will look like when it’s built as a standalone restaurant between the new Starbucks and the existing Chipotle across the parking lot from Lowe’s. The restaurant will not have a drive-thru, but will have a carry-out pick up window and ample outdoor seating. It is expected to open by the end of 2022.