Travilah Square Shopping Center, located at the busy intersection of Darnestown Road and Travilah Road in Rockville, was acquired by Finmarc Management Inc. One of the first moves made was to demolish the existing office building and Burger King and replace it with a new building containing a 12,500 square foot Trader Joe’s grocery store, along with a second, smaller retail space (upcoming tenant below). The late 1980’s look of the center was dated and Finmarc brought on MV+A to revitalize the center and give it a new, clean, vibrant appearance. The new building blends with the shopping center utilizing the same patterned brick and steel trim to create a permanent, “timeless” appearance. A landscape plaza fronts the Trader Joe’s, and a curved brick and steel pergola shades this new outdoor amenity for the shopping center. Some other changes made and places coming soon below:
- Flower Child initially took over the corner space that was formerly home to Sweet Frog along Travilah Rd. Flower Child closed the restaurant at 10072 Darnestown Road when the pandemic shut down indoor dining back in March of 2020 and made the decision to close permanently a few months later. Coming in its place is a Holy Cross Health, which is an Urgent Care center that will be operated by Holy Cross, a member of Trinity Health.
- Hangry Joe’s recently opened between Pholuscious and Tropical Smoothie Cafe, in the 1,600 sf location that was home to El Mexicano at 10050 Darnestown Road.
- Quickway will be opening its 7th Montgomery County location right next to Trader Joe’s in the Travilah Square Shopping Center. The regional chain recently opened its 6th location in Olney and its 5th MoCo location in Stone Mill Square (Korean Korner shopping center).
- Cafe Rio opened in 2018 in the location that was previously home to Bikram Yoga.
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe opened its doors in early 2020 at 10052 Darnestown Road in the location that was previously home to iHeart Spa.
- Playful Pack is opening one of two upcoming Montgomery County locations in the currently vacant building, that was previously home to Kimo Sushi and Victoria Nail Salon, on Darnestown Rd. across the side of 7-Eleven and across the side of Trader Joe’s. Playful Pack is a daycare and boarding facility for dogs. Its other location is coming soon to Germantown.