Per Montgomery County: “Improbable Comedy,” a stand-up comedy show featuring military comics and veterans in a tribute to Veterans Day, will be held at 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, at the Gaithersburg Arts Barn. The Gaithersburg Arts Barn is located at 311 Kent Square Rd. in Gaithersburg. Tickets for the show are $22. Discounted tickets of $20 are available for students 15-21. The show is recommended for ages 15 and older. Purchase tickets online here, in person at the Arts Barn box office or by calling 301-258-6394. Improbable Comedy presents a lineup of comedians who have served in all branches of the military or who support their military spouse.
Improbable Comedy is a Silver Spring-based production group that is celebrating 10 years of presenting stand-up comedy to audiences all over Montgomery County. The group works hard to bring underrepresented voices to the stage in its signature shows. Learn more about the group at www.improbablecomedy.com. The show will be hosted by Sharon Kang (Army National Guard) and will feature Doug Bennett (Marines), Demi Chang (Marines), Patrice DeVeaux (Air Force), Pete Bergen (Army) and Sherry Priester (Navy spouse). More background on each:
- Doug Bennett, known as “Mr. Perspective,” hails from Alexandria and is a stand-up comedian, actor and radio host. Doug specializes in speaking from a universal perspective, representing thoughts that sometimes invoke criticism and pointed conversations. When not on stage, he can be found hosting the radio show “Conversations with Comedians” and the “Nempathy” show on Twitch, Facebook and Instagram.
- Demi Chang got her start in life and comedy in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. She has performed at venues across the country and has been featured on the “Kill Tony” podcast and “The Secret Show” in Austin, Tex. As a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and first-generation immigrant, Demi offers audiences diverse and unconventional perspectives.
- Patrice DeVeaux is a writer, producer and creative curator from Richmond. Patrice has traveled all over the country doing standup and has appeared on several TV shows including “News One Now with Roland Martin,” “Kill Tony” and “Revolt TV.” She has been featured on Kenan Thompson’s “Ultimate Comedy Experience.” Patrice has a comedy album available on all streaming platforms called “No Laugh Tracks Vol. 1.”
- Pete Bergen has opened for and performed with Patton Oswalt, Rory Scovel, Bobcat Goldthwait, David Koechner, Carmen Lynch, Kelsey Cook, Chris Gethard and Chris Kattan. He has appeared at venues such as the DC Improv, Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse, Magooby’s Joke House, Church Of Satire, QED Astoria, DC Comedy Loft, and The Drafthouse Comedy Theater. He has more than 18 years in recovery and is in demand for 12-step conventions. Pete also can be seen as a contributor on Fox 5’s “Like it or Not” and “The Final 5.”
- Sherri Priester is a Navy wife who has performed in clubs throughout the Southeast and has appeared on “Coast Comedy Live,” CBS and UBSN on Roku, and serves as a comedy instructor for the Armed Services Arts Partnership.
For more information about the show, visit gaithersburgmd.gov. The Arts on the Green Theater series is funded in part by a grant from the Maryland State Arts Council (MSAC). To discover more about MSAC grants and how they impact Maryland’s arts sector, visit www.msac.org.