Effective Thursday, October 28 at 12:01 a.m., Montgomery County suspended its mandate requiring face coverings indoors in locations accessible to the public.
Despite this change, businesses and other organizations can continue to require customers or visitors to wear a mask in their establishments.
El Condado de Montgomery logra siete días consecutivos de transmisión moderada levantando el requisito de uso de cobertura facial en interiores
Face coverings must still be worn
- In any business or organization that requires customers or visitors to wear mask.
- In Montgomery College facilities – Montgomery College requirement.
- all visitors over the age of two, and all staff members, in City of Gaithersburg facilities – City of Gaithersburg requirement.
- all visitors over the age of two, and all staff members, in City of Rockville facilities – City of Rockville requirement.
- all students, staff, and visitors in Montgomery County Public School buildings – Montgomery County Public Schools requirement.
- When using public transportation – federal government requirement.
Face coverings are recommended for
- anyone in publicly accessible areas in County Government offices and facilities.
- unvaccinated people interacting with others in public spaces.
- people with underlying conditions that may place them at increased risk for severe illness
- children and staff in schools, childcare programs and camps, including school settings and childcare settings. The updated American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines recommend wearing face coverings:
- indoors when the unvaccinated person will be with those from outside their household (physical distancing also should be maintained);
- outdoors when the unvaccinated person is in large group settings (physical distancing also should be maintained); and
- during indoor and outdoor sports that require close contact, with some exceptions.
- people in congregate settings, like correctional and detention facilities, and homeless shelters.
- people in healthcare-related settings.
Face coverings should fit properly
A face covering is fitted properly when it covers your nose, mouth, and chin.
It includes cloth face coverings, scarves, and bandanas. It does not include face coverings with a valve; or solely wearing a face shield.