A winter weather advisory has been issued for MoCo starting 6am Thursday morning and going until 1pm (4am until 1pm for Upper MoCo).
The latest National Weather Service maps show most of MoCo in the 1-2” range with the upper third of the county in the 2-3” range. The “reasonable worst case scenario” map shows 3 inches for the entire county.
The snow should begin anywhere between 5am and 7am and continue into the late morning.
Per the National Weather Service:
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 1 PM EST THURSDAY
* WHAT…Snow. Snow accumulations of up to two inches with locally higher amounts around three inches possible.
* WHERE…The District of Columbia, portions of central, northern and southern Maryland, and central and northern Virginia.
* WHEN…From 6 AM to 1 PM EST Thursday.
* IMPACTS…Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning commute.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Precipitation will start as rain and then switch over to snow during the Thursday morning commute.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… Slow down and use caution while traveling. When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.
We will have an update for you, including a pencil prediction, tonight.