Per Montgomery County: The Silver Spring Arts and Entertainment District will have many holiday and winter-themed programs to keep all ages entertained through the New Year. In addition, the outdoor ice skating rink at Veterans Plaza is now open seven days a week. More than 100 arts and humanities organizations, arts venues, attractions and entertainment businesses are within the Arts and Entertainment District, with many hosting or sponsoring special events during the holiday season and during winter break. Reservations or tickets are required for many of the events.
The outdoor ice skating rink at Veterans Plaza is open daily, including Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Skating sessions are for one hour. Reservations are available up to two weeks in advance. To purchase tickets, visit https://www.silverspringiceskating.com/. The rink has more than 400 pairs of skates available to rent, sized from toddler to adult.
A list of dining and retail options in Silver Spring can be found at www.SilverSpringDowntown.com.
Upcoming special events in the Silver Spring Arts and Entertainment District will include:
- Collage Holiday Ornament Making Workshop at Create Arts Center. Saturday, Dec. 17. 2-4 p.m. Create collaged holiday ornaments. Choose from a selection of colorful, textured papers to layer onto papier-mâché forms that will be transformed into your designs.
- Create Arts Center is offering a series of Winter Break Art Camp days for ages 6-12. Dec. 28, 29, 30 and Jan. 2, 3. Parents can choose the days that work best for their schedule, with activities from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. with before- and after-care available.
- Cookie Decorating Workshop and Sounds of the Season. Saturday, Dec. 17. Noon-4 p.m. Downtown Silver Spring is offering holiday performances by Banneker Middle School’s Ransom Notes & The Right Hands, violinist Julianne Tortolano and the Rockville Brass Band. There also will be a cookie decorating workshop and refreshments at Nando’s Patio Bar and Warming Lounge.
- Sounds of the Season. Saturday, Dec. 24. Noon-1 p.m. A solo performance by violinist Chloe Robertson on the stage.
- Nutcracker and Holiday Treats. Saturday, Dec. 17. 7 p.m. The Akmedova Ballet Academy will perform the best-known dances from The Nutcracker and original choreography at the Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center.
- Certain Party or Parties Unknown. Art exhibit at the Betty Mae Kramer Gallery in the Silver Spring Civic Building through Jan. 13. On Wednesday, Dec. 14, experience a free evening of jazz music with Paul Carr and pianist Bruce Barth.
- The Majestic Theater is showing holiday movie favorite Polar Express on Saturday, Dec. 17, and Sunday, Dec. 18, How the Grinch Stole Christmason Dec. 24, It’s a Wonderful Life on Dec. 18 and 21, and daily screenings of the new non-traditional Christmas movie Violent Night.
- Holiday Classics at the AFI Silver. Enjoy perennial Christmas classics It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, The Bishop’s Wife and ’80s favorites Die Hard and The Muppet Christmas Carol(celebrating its 30th anniversary with a restored director’s cut) and Love Is Gone aka Belle’s Song. Also in the mix are Will Ferrell in Elf, Albert Finney in 1970’s Scrooge and underseen 1952 British yuletide classic The Holly and the Ivy. Select screenings on Thursday, Dec. 22 and Saturday, Dec. 24 feature intros by Jeremy Arnold, author of Turner Classic Movies’ Christmas in the Movies: 30 Classics to Celebrate the Season.
- Silver Branch Brewing. Saturday, Dec. 17. Hosts an Ugly Sweater Party. Saturday, Dec. 31, hosts a New Year’s Eve Bash. Along with a holiday movie marathon, the Ugly Sweater Party will offer prizes for the Ugliest Sweater, the Best Homemade Sweater and the Funniest Sweater.
- The American Legion Post 41. Saturday, Dec. 17. 4-7 p.m. Hosts a music-filled holiday with an Ugly Sweater Party. Sunday, Jan. 8: Hosts the DC Blues Jam.
- Photos with Santa. Ellsworth Place is offering visits and photos with Santa through Dec. 24. Times vary.
- Other locations with daily entertainment offerings during winter break include The Big Escape Room Silver Spring, Dave and Busters Silver Spring, The Eleanor’s bowling lanes and a Black and White photo tour with Sip N Develop.
Designated as an Arts and Entertainment District by the State of Maryland in 2001, the Silver Spring Arts and Entertainment District is a hub of performance venues, restaurants and nightlife, festivals and community celebrations and family friendly fun. An Arts and Entertainment District helps develop and promote community involvement, tourism and business revitalization through tax-related incentives that attract artists, arts organizations and other creative enterprises.
For more information and an events calendar, visit the official Silver Spring website.
# # #
To ensure the safety and comfort of customers and employees, Metro is increasing the visibility of Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) officers in stations and incorporating more frequent patrols throughout…
The Heights Food Hall at Wisconsin Place in Chevy Chase opened on Monday, December 11th, but recently held a grand opening celebration. Our very own Mr. MoCo stopped by to…
Chef Ngee Kitchen is coming to 18523 N. Frederick Ave. in the Gaithersburg S.C. shopping center.
Playa Bowls has opened its fifth Montgomery County location at 8525 Chevy Chase Lake Terrace in the Chevy Chase Lake development. Playa Bowls Chevy Chase is currently in its soft…
AC Milan Academy is hosting a soccer camp at Maryland Soccerplex from March 1st through March 3rd for girls and boys aged 5 to 16 from any club who want to develop their soccer skills and learn the unique methodology of AC Milan directly from AC Milan coaches.
March 1st (Friday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 2nd (Saturday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 3rd (Sunday) 10:30am -12pm and 3:30pm-5pm
Location:18031 Central Park Cir, Boyds, MD 20841
Price: $349 + AC Milan Junior Camp Kit