Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich, along with the County’s regional services offices and community partners will host 10 Community Conversations from September through December to seek input on the Fiscal Year 2025 Operating Budget. The first conversation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14, at the Mid-County Recreation Center in Layhill.
The official address of the Mid-County Recreation center is 2004 Queensguard Road in Silver Spring.
Seven of the 10 conversations will be conducted in English, including one focusing on issues for older residents and another focusing on issues of importance to Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) members. For a County first, one of the forums will be conducted in Amharic. Two other non-English language forums will be held, with one in Spanish and another in Chinese. A select number of Community Conversations will be held online so that residents have the option to participate remotely.
The County is in the early stages of formulating the FY25 operating budget. County Executive Elrich is required to submit a recommended budget to the County Council by March 15, 2024. The Council then will have two months to review the budget. It must adopt a final budget no later than June 1. The FY25 operating budget will go into effect on July 1.
“This year, we have increased the number of budget forums from eight to 10 to be even more inclusive,” said County Executive Elrich. “We hold these community conversations to give people a chance to be heard because their voice matters. Their insight helps drive our decisions and our priorities for the next fiscal year. The budget not only reflects the County’s needs and concerns, but our community’s values and goals. I encourage every resident to participate in these conversations because their voice shapes our path forward.”
The Community Conversations are scheduled as follows:
- Mid-County Community Conversation. Thursday, Sept. 14. 7-8:30 p.m. Mid-County Recreation Center (Layhill), Social Hall, 2004 Queensguard Road, Silver Spring. Click here to view online.
- Spanish Language Community Conversation. Thursday, Sept. 21. 7-8:30 p.m. Mid-County Recreation Center (Layhill), Social Hall, 2004 Queensguard Road, Silver Spring. Click here to view online.
- UpCounty Community Conversation. Tuesday, Sept. 26. 7-8:30 p.m. BlackRock Center for the Arts, 12901 Town Commons Drive, Germantown.
- Bethesda-Chevy Chase Community Conversation. Wednesday, Sept. 27. 7-8:30 p.m. Bethesda – Chevy Chase Regional Services Center, 4805 Edgemoor Lane, East West Room, Bethesda.
- PTA Community Conversation. Monday, Oct. 16. 7-8:30 p.m. Executive Office Building, Cafeteria, 101 Monroe St., Rockville. Hybrid (link to view online to be announced).
- Amharic Language Community Conversation. Wednesday, Oct. 18. 7-8:30 p.m. Montgomery College – Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, 7600 Takoma Ave., Takoma Park.
- Silver Spring Community Conversation. Monday, Nov. 13. 7-8:30 p.m. Silver Spring Civic Center Building, 1 Veterans Place, Spring Room, Silver Spring.
- East County Community Conversation. Wednesday, Nov. 15. 7-8:30 p.m. Location to be determined. Hybrid (link to view online to be announced).
- Seniors Community Conversation. Monday, Dec. 11. 2-3:30 p.m. Leisure World, Clubhouse 1, Crystal Ballroom, 3701 Rossmore Blvd., Silver Spring. Only Leisure World residents may participate in person. Hybrid (link to view online to be announced).
- Chinese Language Community Conversation. Date and location to be announced.
The Community Conversations will be televised live on the following cable channels:
- County Cable Montgomery (CCM): Comcast channel 6 HD 996, RCN channel 6 and HD 1056 and Verizon channel 30
- Montgomery College Television (MCTV): Comcast channels 998 & 10, Verizon 10 and RCN 1059 & 10 (Sept. 14 only)
- Montgomery County Public School (MCPS TV): Comcast 34, Comcast HD 998, Verizon 36, RCN 89, RCN HD 1058
- Montgomery Community Media (MCM): Comcast channel 21, HD 995, RCN 21 HD 1055, and Verizon 21
- Montgomery Municipal Channel (MMC): Comcast channel 16 HD 997, RCN 16, Verizon 16
- Takoma Park City TV: Comcast channel 13, RCN channel 13 HD 1060, and Verizon 28 (Sept. 21 and Nov. 13 only)
Montgomery County will provide sign language interpreters and other auxiliary aids or services upon request — with as much advance notice as possible, preferably at least three business days before the event. For more information, contact Karen Falcon at 240-777-6522 or send a request to [email protected] .
In all situations, a good faith effort (up until the time of the event) will be made to provide accommodations.
TTY users can use Maryland Relay 711.
Calling all coaches, students and parents/caregivers of student athletes: MCPS Athletics and the NCAA Eligibility Center are hosting a virtual information night from 6:30-8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 4.
Per Montgomery Parks: “Celebrate the holidays with Montgomery Parks! We have birdwatching, winter solstice, New Year’s festivities, and many more activities for the whole family.
St. George Greek Orthodox Church, located at 7701 Bradley Blvd in Bethesda, is hosting its 4th Annual Saint George Christmas Experience and Holiday Bazaar on Saturday, December 2nd.
According to Montgomery County Police, “A 20-year-old Capitol Heights man died Tuesday, November 28, 2023, after crashing his car into a parked vehicle on Spruell Drive.