This article was originally published in April 2018. It has been updated to include additional photos and information. Photos courtesy of the Oldham family.
Though it remained open until 2002, The Corner Kick at 18707 N. Frederick Rd in Gaithersburg was the premier sporting facility in MoCo from 1984-2000 (2000 is when the Maryland SoccerPlex opened in Germantown and the Rockville SportsPlex opened in Rockville). The Corner Kick hosted indoor soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, and volleyball leagues as well as some of the best kid’s birthday parties many in our area have ever been a part of.
One of the biggest attractions for The Corner Kick was the restaurant/pub that overlooked the fields. You could grab a domestic draft beer for $.75 during lunch or $1.00 during happy hour. A 2002 Gazette article quotes co-owner Derek Oldham as saying the pub accounted for almost 50% of the facility’s business. The article also mentions an adult volleyball league known as “Bump, Set, Drink” that consisted of over 200 players that often stayed at the facility until 2am playing and drinking…sometimes simultaneously.
We remember playing in many indoor soccer leagues at The Corner Kick. We don’t think there was A/C or heat on the fields. In the summers, the heat would be almost unbearable, but that wouldn’t stop any of us from playing. In the winters you’d run out of breath after a minute or two of running around in freezing temperatures. We all noticed the temperatures, but none of us ever really minded them.
Due to the opening of the SoccerPlex and SportsPlex, business declined. Fitzgerald Auto Malls purchased the warehouse in October of 2001 and rented the property to The Corner Kick for a few months until they closed permanently on January 15th, 2002. The opening of the new facilities had caused them to lose almost all of their youth leagues and many of their adult leagues as they struggled to remain in business for the next two years. Prior to The Corner Kick’s arrival, and for a couple years during, the warehouse was also home to Great Skate. Great Skate was a skating rink that remained open until 1987. We’re a little too young to remember Great Skate, but we definitely miss The Corner Kick!
Followers of our Facebook page also shared their fond memories of the Corner Kick:
- “My father was the first person to commit a team to play there. I was literally raised there… was probably still in diapers the first time I went. I would blow through quarters in the arcade lol. The Oldhams were, and are, family friends, and I miss the kick tremendously.”
- “My nephew Daniel Hess performed there with his ska band mates the Canker Sores and The Ratchet Boys.”
- “I was a soccer mom to our 2 sons who played there often. I really enjoyed the super delish onion rings while I watched from the above viewing windows and chatted with the other soccer kid parents. Good times!”
- “Played a couple of winters there as a kid in the mid 90s…so cold… … what even is a “Soccerplex”…kids these days…uphill both ways! ”
- “When you didn’t have to leave the building to enjoy playing and food and drinks field freezing in winter and hot hot hot in summer….. good times”
- “Fond memories watching my boys play soccer there. They loved the toasted sandwich”
- “Legendary. Played womens and co-Ed leagues throughout the 90s. I take my car to Fitzgerald now and can’t help but imagine where everything was. I hope the walls never tell the stories…”
- “Loved this place. Played in men’s and co-rec leagues here. Loved being a “free agent” goalie. Play my team game, chill and have a post-game beer, and getting tapped to play again because someone’s goalie didn’t show. Could easily play 2-3 games a night. Remember watching World Cup games there, too!”
From the now-defunct www.Corner-Kick.com:
“Our Video Game Room contains about 20 games of varying types, including everything from Pinball Machines to the latest in Video Games such as Mortal Kombat III, NAMCO Alpine Racer, and a 4 seat Daytona. We hold regular tournaments on the Daytona and Alpine Racer.”
Scores for Dec 09, 2023 (powered by www.MoCoAI.com):
Per Montgomery County: “Committees will review legislation regarding roadside tree replacement fees and the County’s right of first refusal to buy rental housing; and review zoning text amendments regarding site…
Per the State of Maryland (12.9.23): “Today, Governor Wes Moore and First Lady Dawn Moore hosted a public open house to celebrate the holiday season with Marylanders. The event was…
Per the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security: “Montgomery County has activated a Hypothermia Alert for extreme cold for Sun, 12/10 at 10:00 pm through Mon, 12/11. Expect…
SATURDAY 12/9/23 Join us for the ultimate year-end celebration of art, vintage finds, and fashion at CNXN.WORLD's Art & Vintage Event! Sponsored by So What Else, Inc. We will be hosting a hygiene product drive as well! Please bring items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, and more to donate and make a difference. Sign up for a chance to WIN a $40 credit you can use towards any purchase at the event! We've got food, drinks, and more prizes during the event! Vendor Lineup: @thefoundrymd @poetic_sole @on2thenext_vntg @fleetwoodmarket @anatething @bimdayz @thriftlifeadvintage @yester_dayz @bratty_couture @camryncurtiss @crushthrifts @888deadgirl @ken_blendz @misfitbodega @mando.nc @mozartsthriftshop @seamslikenew @skuffstore @the.crucial.cookie @sowhatelsehelps Saturday, December 9th, 20231:30 PM to 6:00 PM4924 Wyaconda Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852. See you there!