One-third of Montgomery County, or 93,000 acres, is designated as the Agricultural Reserve. This unique area of contiguous farmland has special characteristics:
- The zoning of the Agricultural Reserve (AR zone) limits development to one house per 25 acres;
- 70,000 acres, or 75% of the land area within the Ag Reserve, is further protected through permanent easements that restrict residential, industrial, and commercial development;
- 558 farms remain viable in a county with high development pressure and cost of living;
- 454 farms produce table food crops or products, allowing county residents to enjoy locally produced food;
- 10,000 horses provide competitive and recreational opportunities for County residents;
- Views of thousands of acres of rural landscape enjoyed by tourists, bicyclists, hikers, artists, and other visitors
Montgomery County’s diverse agricultural industry is home to 558 farms, employs more than 10,000 people, and contributes $281 million to the County’s economy. AG Facts Below:
Food Producers: According to the 2017 USDA Census of Agriculture, there are 454 farms producing table food in Montgomery County. The County’s food producers are essential and continue to play a vital role providing fresh, local food to residents including those in need through the Farm 2 Foodbank program. See the latest Farm2Foodbank Impact Report HERE.
Environmental Data: Best Management Practices (BMP) by Montgomery County Farmers. These practices help the County’s agricultural sector meet its Watershed Implementation (WIP) goals as mandated by the Maryland Department of the Environment. These BMPs also have the co benefit of reducing green house gas emissions.
Information and featured photo courtesy of Montgomery County’s Office of Agriculture.
On Friday morning at 10:59 a.m., officers responded to Wells Fargo Bank at 750 Walker Road in Great Falls, VA for an armed bank robbery. The suspect entered the bank,…
Nearly a year ago we let you know that TJ Maxx, the discount department store that sells clothing, shoes, jewelry, and home décor would be one of Burtonsville Crossing’s new tenants…
The Halal Guys at 522 N Frederick Ave in the Gaithersburg Square shopping center has permanently closed.
The Maryland-National Capital Park Police is asking for help naming the newest member of its K9 rescue unit.
AC Milan Academy is hosting a soccer camp at Maryland Soccerplex from March 1st through March 3rd for girls and boys aged 5 to 16 from any club who want to develop their soccer skills and learn the unique methodology of AC Milan directly from AC Milan coaches.
March 1st (Friday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 2nd (Saturday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 3rd (Sunday) 10:30am -12pm and 3:30pm-5pm
Location:18031 Central Park Cir, Boyds, MD 20841
Price: $349 + AC Milan Junior Camp Kit