The Maryland State Police issued a release today reminding motorists to not to drink and drive over Super Bowl weekend.
Per the Maryland State Police: While the Baltimore Ravens may have come up short in their pursuit of a championship, the Maryland State Police know that there will still be plenty of people hosting and attending Super Bowl parties this Sunday.
Troopers are reminding motorists to enjoy the game, and avoid aggressive, distracted or impaired driving, when going to or leaving their destination. State troopers from all 23 Maryland State Police barracks, including the State Police Impaired Driving Reduction Effort (SPIDRE) team, will focus on aggressive, distracted or impaired driving while conducting saturation patrols on roads with high DUI incidents. Enforcement efforts are bolstered by funds from the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration’s Highway Safety Office.
The initiative includes partnering with allied law enforcement agencies and other state agencies to both enforce the law and offer outreach and education to the community.
Among the planned initiatives from the Maryland State Police:
- Eastern Region: Troopers from the Maryland State Police Berlin, Centreville, Easton, Princess Anne, and Salisbury barracks will conduct high visibility enforcement along U.S. Routes 301, 50, 13, Maryland Route 413, and throughout their respective counties.
- Central Region: Troopers from the Maryland State Police College Park, Forestville, Golden Ring, Rockville, Waterloo, and Westminster barracks will conduct high visibility enforcement along Interstate 495, 270, U.S. Routes 50, 5, 301, and throughout their respective counties.
- Western Region: Troopers from the Maryland State Police Cumberland, Frederick, Hagerstown, and McHenry barracks will conduct high visibility enforcement along Interstate 70, U.S. Route 40, and throughout their respective counties.
- Northern Region: Troopers from the Bel Air, JFK Memorial Highway, and North East barracks will conduct high visibility enforcement along area-known “DUI hotspots” and throughout their respective counties.
- Southern Region: Troopers from the Annapolis, Glen Burnie, La Plata, Leonardtown, and Prince Frederick barracks will conduct high visibility enforcement along U.S. Route 50, Interstate 97, 695, Maryland 295, and throughout their respective counties.
Last year throughout the Super Bowl weekend, troopers made 68 DUI arrests and issued 4,349 citations and warnings. Additionally, troopers responded to 176 reported crashes.
If you are attending a Super Bowl gathering:
- Designate a sober driver in advance.
- If you drive, avoid drinking. Drinking and driving do not mix.
- Consider using public transportation, call a taxi, or ride-share service if there is not a sober driver.
- Do not let a friend drive if you suspect they are impaired.
- If you see or suspect an impaired driver, call 911 immediately.
Enjoy the game responsibly and ensure everyone gets home safely. Maryland State Police wish you a Super Bowl Sunday full of smart decisions and safe travels.
The Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) are investigating a death that occurred Friday morning at the Silver Spring Metro Station.
Detectives from the Montgomery County Department of Police – Special Victims Investigations Division (SVID) are asking for the public’s assistance in locating Meybely Torres, a missing 15-year-old from Silver Spring.
The schedule has been release for the Montgomery County Energy Summit, which takes place this April in Silver Spring.
The City of Rockville has announced it is seeking current or retired military members to participate in its annual Memorial Day and Veterans Day events.
AC Milan Academy is hosting a soccer camp at Maryland Soccerplex from March 1st through March 3rd for girls and boys aged 5 to 16 from any club who want to develop their soccer skills and learn the unique methodology of AC Milan directly from AC Milan coaches.
March 1st (Friday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 2nd (Saturday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 3rd (Sunday) 10:30am -12pm and 3:30pm-5pm
Location:18031 Central Park Cir, Boyds, MD 20841
Price: $349 + AC Milan Junior Camp Kit