Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Thursday, December 2, 2021
Wheaton’s Arts & Entertainment District and its surrounding region will have a wide variety of holiday celebrations and events throughout the winter season. There will be activities for the whole family—including the family pets.
“Wheaton is a fabulous place to shop for your local, artisan holiday presents throughout December,” said Luisa Cardona, director of Montgomery County’s Mid-County Regional Services Center. “You can find really unique crafts and gifts, have lunch at one of our multi-cultural restaurants and then take the family out for a fun holiday event.”
The winter schedule of events in the Wheaton area will include:
- InterAct Story Theatre’s Wheaton Family Theatre Series Free Event: Synetic Theater’s “The Miraculous Magical Balloon.” Saturday, Dec. 4, 11 a.m. and Sunday, Dec. 5, 2 p.m. Highland Elementary School. The show is a hilarious pantomime sketch incorporating music, ballet, clowning and audience participation. Expressed through body and facial masks, pantomime illusions, and unique choreography, The Miraculous Magical Balloon tells the story of a traveling actor and his magical trunk of tricks and toys. Event is free and open to the public. No tickets or registration needed.
- Frozen The Musical. Saturday, Dec. 11. Performances at 12:30 and 2 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. Come sing-along with Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Hans, take selfies with the characters and take home a surprise keepsake while supplies last. Limited space is available. Free, but tickets are required.
- Join Lina Tembo as she talks food and culture with local food artisans at Chop Talk: Holiday Edition. Saturday, Dec. 11. 7:30 p.m. FAS Marketplace.
- Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens. Every night through Jan. 2, except Dec. 24-25. Brookside Gardens will be transformed into a magical winter wonderland for the 23rd year of Garden of Lights. Walk through the outdoor twinkling lights and glimmering displays that dot the paths and flowerbeds. More than one million dazzling and colorful LED lights are handwoven into original works depicting animals, flowers and other natural elements. Advanced tickets are required.
- Pet Night with Santa. Monday, Dec. 6, 4-7 p.m., and Monday, Dec. 13, and Monday, Dec. 20, 4-8 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. Bring your furry four-legged friend for their close-up with Santa. Dogs and cats only. Pets must be leashed and/or caged. Donations to the Humane Society will be accepted.
- A Visit with Santa for children. Through Dec. 24, noon-7p m. daily. Westfield Wheaton. In partnership with Autism Speaks, the shopping center will offer Sensory Santa visits with limited stimulation from 9:30-10:30 a.m. on Dec. 5 and 12.
- FAS Marketplace will offer live virtual holiday shopping with craft artisans at the The Artisan Trunk Show on Friday, Dec. 4, 6 p.m. FAS Marketplace also will host The Artist Vibe with host Tinesi Minikon for performances by new and upcoming visual artists, performing artists, door prizes, and an evening of fun on Friday, Dec. 17, 7:30 p.m.
- Hixters Holiday Concert. Saturday, Dec. 18, noon-1 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. The performance will feature holiday classics by a string quartet.
- Candy Cane with a Cop. Friday, Dec. 17. 1-2 p.m. Westfield Wheaton. Montgomery County Police Department will be part of the event. Play area will also feature story time, snacks, crafts and more.
- Holiday Dance Presented by Wheaton Studio of Dance. Saturday, Dec. 18. Noon. Westfield Wheaton. The Wheaton Studio of Dance, founded by Joni Reese, is in its 63rd year under artistic director and owner Shannon Rush-Locke.
- Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery in Westfield Wheaton will exhibit a new show entitled “Celebration.” Exhibit will be open through Jan. 23. The exhibit features artwork by 25 local artists, displaying their impressions of the winter season. Free admission.
Additional activities include programs at the Wheaton Recreation Center. The center will have drop-in basketball for youth, families, and adults and drop-in pickleball, badminton and volleyball for seniors.
For those not yet able to get out to regular activities, the Montgomery County Library system is hosting virtual events. Upcoming virtual events include making holiday ornaments for kids and meditation for inner peace during the stressful holiday season.
For those interested in giving, Montgomery Housing Partnership, Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, and the Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce are sponsoring their 23rd annual Angels for Children 2021 Toy Drive.
For more information on the Wheaton Arts & Entertainment District, Wheaton Urban District or the surrounding area, visit Wheatonmd.org.
More information about the events is available at wheatonmd.org or by calling 311.
# # #