Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to a call for a kitchen fire on the 3200 block of Hewitt Ave in Aspen Hill a little before 8am on Thursday morning. According to MCFRS Public Information Officer Pete Piringer, smoke was showing from the first floor of a three-story apartment building that caused all residents to be evacuated.
The fire started in and around the stove/oven in the kitchen when combustibles in a bottom drawer storage area we’re too close to the heat source. It was quickly extinguished by crews on the scene and approximately $1,000 in damages was incurred. There were no injuries and all residents were able to re-occupy the building.
Update – 3200blk Hewitt Av, Hermitage Sq Apts; fire in kitchen on 1st floor; Origin & Cause, stove/oven, combustibles too close to heat source (storage area bottom drawer/underneath oven); Damage ~$1K; no injury, occupants can re-occupy https://t.co/BkJgMJ0J7O pic.twitter.com/LOo3XqJfk1
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) November 10, 2022