Starting Sunday evening, December 17, 2023, Metro will significantly expand Metrobus service into the overnight and early morning hours across Washington, D.C. providing 24/7 bus service across 14 routes, ushering in a new era of affordable, convenient, and reliable transportation for customers.
Per WMATA: Funding for the expansion of operating hours was made possible by the District of Columbia, which will cover operational expenses under an agreement with Metro.
Between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m., Metrobus will operate every 20 minutes or better on the 14 routes – A6, A8, B2, H4, S2, V2, W4, X2, 32, 33, 52, 70, 80, 92 – with two routes extended to serve additional bus stops after Metrorail operations close for the night. These high ridership routes on key corridors will predominantly support late-night and early-morning essential workers in hospitality, healthcare, and entertainment industries.
“We are honored to serve the dedicated essential workers who keep the heart of our community beating,” said Metro General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Randy Clarke. “Their tireless efforts are the backbone of our region, and we want to ensure they have safe, secure, equitable, dependable, and affordable transit options. The launch of our 24/7 DC Bus Service operations is a testament to our commitment to the vibrancy of our community and the essential workers we proudly serve.”
In a city that moves around the clock, the 24/7 DC Bus Service will help support DC’s growing economic vitality and diversity. Many of the selected bus routes run through the city’s late night hot spots and entertainment venues, providing those who enjoy DC’s nightlife and late-night workers better transit options.
“Today, more residents, commuters, and visitors are traveling in and around the District, and it is critical that we have an accessible transportation system that meets their needs 24 hours a day, seven days a week,” said interim District Department of Transportation Director Sharon Kershbaum. “This new dedicated bus service will have a significant impact on our local businesses that are the backbone of our economy and will help our essential workers always have a way to move around safely to and from work and back home again.”
Key highlights of Metro’s new 24/7 DC Bus Serviceinclude:
- Enhanced Accessibility: Essential workers throughout DC will now enjoy increased access to reliable, equitable, frequent, and affordable bus service, ensuring safe, secure, and convenient travel at any hour for $2 each ride.
- Essential Routes: 14 routes along key corridors with high ridership (A6, A8, B2, H4, S2, V2, W4, X2, 32, 33, 52, 70, 80, 92) that remain operational throughout the night and early morning.
- Safety & Security: Metro is unwavering in its commitment to providing a safe and secure transit experience for all customers. The Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) will continue to be available 24/7 for emergencies. Customers should contact MTPD by texting 696873 (MYMTPD) or dialing (202) 962-2121 in an emergency.
- Courtesy Stops: Customers traveling between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. may request a “Courtesy Stop” between designated bus stops, to get off closer to their destination. At the bus operator’s discretion, a safe location will be identified.
- Real-time Information: Metro’s digital tools like busETAoffer real-time updates on bus schedules, empowering customers to plan their journeys with ease and confidence. Planning in advance is also easy with Metro’s Trip Planner.
Metro’s new 24/7 DC Bus Service also fulfills Metro’s Strategic Transformation Plan, where Metro continues to work with regional partners to deliver quality service and ensure that customers have equitable access to public transportation.
To ensure the safety and comfort of customers and employees, Metro is increasing the visibility of Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) officers in stations and incorporating more frequent patrols throughout…
The Heights Food Hall at Wisconsin Place in Chevy Chase opened on Monday, December 11th, but recently held a grand opening celebration. Our very own Mr. MoCo stopped by to…
Chef Ngee Kitchen is coming to 18523 N. Frederick Ave. in the Gaithersburg S.C. shopping center.
Playa Bowls has opened its fifth Montgomery County location at 8525 Chevy Chase Lake Terrace in the Chevy Chase Lake development. Playa Bowls Chevy Chase is currently in its soft…
AC Milan Academy is hosting a soccer camp at Maryland Soccerplex from March 1st through March 3rd for girls and boys aged 5 to 16 from any club who want to develop their soccer skills and learn the unique methodology of AC Milan directly from AC Milan coaches.
March 1st (Friday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 2nd (Saturday) 6pm-7:30pm
March 3rd (Sunday) 10:30am -12pm and 3:30pm-5pm
Location:18031 Central Park Cir, Boyds, MD 20841
Price: $349 + AC Milan Junior Camp Kit