Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Friday, May 6, 2022
Montgomery County Ride On bus riders can donate non-perishable food to the County Department of Transportation’s (MCDOT) Ride On food drive from May 15-22. Non-perishable food items can be dropped off on all Ride On, extRa, Flex and Flash buses. A food donation bag will be available next to the farebox.
“We must ensure that no one in Montgomery County goes hungry,” said Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich. “Food insecurity was prevalent before the pandemic hit—and COVID-19 made it even worse. So many people lost jobs and higher food prices continue to make it exceedingly difficult for families to make ends meet. I am grateful to MCDOT and Manna Food Center for this important effort and encourage residents to donate non-perishable food items on all of our buses between May 15 and May 22.”
MCDOT has conducted the food drive for more than 30 years in partnership with Manna Food Center, although the effort was suspended during the two-year COVID-19 health crisis. This year, the food drive also has partnered with Montgomery County Public Libraries and the County’s five Regional Services Centers, which are also taking in non-perishable food donations.
“We are asking those who have the means to help to donate to this food drive,” said MCDOT Director Chris Conklin. “Food insecurity is prevalent, but often goes unnoticed. Before the pandemic hit, one in 12 people in Montgomery County were estimated to experience food insecurity. One in three elementary school students qualify for free and reduced meals and 20 percent of the County’s seniors, 55-64 only, live below the self-sufficiency standard.”
In addition to County buses, food donations will also be accepted at the following locations:
- Executive Ofﬁce Building: 101 Monroe Street Rockville, MD 20850 240-777-5880
- County Council Ofﬁce Building: 100 Maryland Avenue Rockville, MD 20850 240-777-5870
Regional Services Centers:
- Bethesda-Chevy Chase Regional Services Center: 4805 Edgemoor Ln Bethesda, MD 20814 240-777-8200
- East County Community Recreation Center: 3310 Gateshead Manor Way Silver Spring, MD 20904 240-475-6527
- Mid-County Regional Services Center: 2425 Reedie Drive Wheaton, MD 20902 240-777-8103
- Silver Spring Regional Services Center: One Veterans Place Silver Spring, Maryland 20910 240-777-5300
- Upcounty Regional Services Center: 12900 Middlebrook Road Germantown, MD 20874 240-777-8000
- White Oak Library: 11701 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20904 240-773-9555
- Olney Library: 3500 Olney-Laytonsville Road Olney, MD 20832 240-773-9545
- Long Branch Library: 8800 Garland Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20901 240-777-0910
- Davis Library (North Bethesda): 6400 Democracy Boulevard Bethesda, MD 20817 240-777-0922
- Gaithersburg Library: 18330 Montgomery Village Avenue Gaithersburg, MD 20879 240-773-9490
Manna Food Center locations:
- Manna Food Center warehouse: 9311 Gaither Rd Gaithersburg, MD 20877 301-424-1130
- Manna Food Center, administrative ofﬁce: 12301 Old Columbia Pike Silver Spring, MD 20904 301-424-1130
All food donations will go to Manna Food Center to help community members in need. Last year, Mana Food Center supported more than 45,000 residents with 5.3 million pounds of food.
Fare for all riders remains free at least until July 2.
All passengers are encouraged to wear face coverings when traveling by public transportation. All MCDOT buses have a supply of face coverings for those who cannot provide their own. Buses will continue to be cleaned by the County’s Department of General Services daily with hospital-grade viral disinfectant. Bus filter and ventilation systems also are treated each night with a disinfectant.
For the most up-to-date service information, riders should follow @RideOnMCT on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. In addition, information is available RideOnBus.com, by subscribing to receive email alerts at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/govdelivery, or texting MONTGOMERY RIDEON to 468311 to receive text alerts.
# # #