Silver Spring Church Building Listed For Sale
The building that houses the Silver Spring Day School (former home of Marvin Memorial UMC), located at 33 University Blvd E in Silver Spring, has been listed for sale.
The original church was built in 1872 and replaced by the current building in 1951.
Marvin Memorial held their last service at the church in March of 2014. In 2009 the church merged with Woodside UMC to form Silver Spring United Methodist Church.
The church is still being used by other congregations.
Silver Spring Day School is a preschool for children two-years to pre-K. Currently the day school is closed due to COVID.
From Silver Spring UMC’s website:
“In 1872, a group of people at Four Corners organized to build a Methodist Church. In September 1872, a piece of land about one half acre in size on Old Bladensburg Road was donated by Mr. & Mrs. George N. Beale and Mr. & Mrs. H.P. Clark. Most of the early church members were farmers who supplied much of the labor to build the 36 by 36 foot church building. This little white building stood on the lot until 1951, when the present brick building replaced it.”
For more information on the church’s history, visit silverspringumc.org/welcome/our-history
You can also read this Northwood-Four Corners Civic Association article that was written shortly after the church’s last service in 2014.