Notes from the 3pm Froday media briefing on yesterday’s explosion at the Friendly Garden Apartments on the 2400 block of Lyttonsville Rd in Silver Spring.
- In total 14 people were injured. Three with serious injuries, including one child. Seven people have been released from the hospital.
- All residents of the Friendly Garden Apartments have been accounted for.
- Investigators found a cut gas pipe in the basement of the building which potentially caused the explosion.
- There were maintenance workers working on a plumbing related issue in the building Thursday morning. It’s possible they cut the pipe.
- No known fatalities as a result of the explosion and fire.
- K-9 search indicated that there were possible human remains in the wreckage. They are hoping the dogs are just picking up the scent of someone’s clothing.
Notes from the 9am press conference:
• Total number transported and injured from this event is 14. Original information provided was 10 personnel transported from the scene. 2 people self transported to area hospital. 1 left the scene and went to work and later called 911. 3 serious injuries (still in serious condition) and 11 with minor to moderate injuries.
• All known residents of 2405 have been contacted and accounted for. Definite change from yesterday’s update.
• Still working to confirm that there weren’t any visitors or other people in the building at the time of the explosion.
• Property maintenance worker was in the building at the time of the explosion. The worker was injured and has been talking with investigators. He is still at an area hospital and has provided investigators with information.
• One of many investigative theories is that the work involved with the maintenance individual led to the explosion. No active theories can be ruled out until further investigation.
• Three buildings, 2405, 2401, and 2411 were identified as unsafe to occupy.
• Conflict with Peoco was identified late yesterday evening, due to damaged transformer. Because of that 225 residents were displaced from the 6 buildings (original 3 and additional 3).
• MCFRS crews will continue work today.
County Executive Marc Elrich:
• Over $220k raised by the community through donations. Donate here.
• Many residents found refuge with family and friends, very few needed shelter.
• Buildings were all inspected for building code and fire safety in September 2021.
• “We’ll get down to focusing on the cause of what happened”
Montgomery County police responded to Westfield Wheaton Mall (11160 Veirs Mill Rd) for the report of a barricaded person inside of JC Penney on Wednesday, December 6.
Per the Maryland State’s Attorney’s Office: “The Office of the Attorney General announced today the end of the temporary suspension of Zainab Chaudry from her position on the Maryland Commission…
A $50,000 winning PICK 5 ticket sold last remains unclaimed as of December 6, according to the Maryland Lottery.
Join us this Saturday at 12:30pm for a Tacky Sweater Holiday Party in the Jingle Lounge at Westfield Montgomery Mall (7101 Democracy Blvd) in Bethesda! We’ll be popping up at…
SATURDAY 12/9/23 Join us for the ultimate year-end celebration of art, vintage finds, and fashion at CNXN.WORLD's Art & Vintage Event! Sponsored by So What Else, Inc. We will be hosting a hygiene product drive as well! Please bring items like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, and more to donate and make a difference. Sign up for a chance to WIN a $40 credit you can use towards any purchase at the event! We've got food, drinks, and more prizes during the event! Vendor Lineup: @thefoundrymd @poetic_sole @on2thenext_vntg @fleetwoodmarket @anatething @bimdayz @thriftlifeadvintage @yester_dayz @bratty_couture @camryncurtiss @crushthrifts @888deadgirl @ken_blendz @misfitbodega @mando.nc @mozartsthriftshop @seamslikenew @skuffstore @the.crucial.cookie @sowhatelsehelps Saturday, December 9th, 20231:30 PM to 6:00 PM4924 Wyaconda Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852. See you there!