The annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, a partnership of the City of Gaithersburg & the Montgomery County Community Action Agency, is now accepting appointments to prepare 2022 taxes. Casey Community Center will host a VITA site on Mondays from 3 to 8 p.m. beginning on January 23, 2023.
The VITA program offers free tax preparation assistance to low- & moderate-income individuals who earn $60,000 or less per year. Preparation is done by IRS-trained volunteers who assist taxpayers in determining if they are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit & other tax credits. Services are offered in both English & Spanish. Appointments are available January 23 through April 14. Additional information below:
Securely upload all required documents without leaving your home. Certified tax preparers are available to file your taxes for free. Now preparing 2022 federal & state returns.
Required Documents: The IRS will not allow VITA to prepare taxes without required documentation.
Be prepared to provide the following to your appointment:
- A Social Security card and/or ITIN for EACH family member. We cannot use prior year files to verify Social Security numbers.
- A photo ID for each filer.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2022.
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number.
- All banking account information (a voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund (or set up an account through our Bank On Gaithersburg program).
- A copy of last year’s tax return.
- Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or state.
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any.
- Any other tax related documents you have received.
- If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
- If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2022, through Medicare/Medicaid, or through your employer, you should receive a Form 1095-A, B, and/or C. Please bring this form with you to complete your 2021 federal tax return.
- If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2022 federal tax return.
- If you are married & filing jointly, your spouse must be present. If you are married & filing separately, you need your spouse’s name as spelled on his/her Social Security card & your spouse’s Social Security number.
Potomac Local reports that mega gas station/convenience store Buc-ee’s is looking to open its first location in the Greater Washington area.
The Montgomery County Council will meet on Tuesday, March 5 at 9:45am. Full agenda below courtesy Montgomery County:
Veteran news anchors Shawn Yancy and Tony Perkins have anchored their first newscast together in six years. The pair will continue to do so all week on News4 at 5pm…
Signature Dish, a television program on WETA PBS that discovers and reveals the standout dishes at a wide array of the region’s best restaurants, will feature Rockville food truck Fire…