With Montgomery County having already announced that it’ll be fully involved in National Bike to Work Day in May, the City of Takoma Park it’s celebrating National Bike Month with two bike-related events—Bike to School Day and Bike to Work Day.
Per Takoma Park:
Bike to School Day
The 11th annual National Bike & Roll to School Day is Wednesday, May 4, 2022, and registration is now open!
Bike to Work Day
Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 20, 2022. Join us at nearly 100 pit stops in DC, MD, and VA for this FREE event for a healthy way to start your day. The first 15,000 who register and attend at a pit stop by bike will receive a FREE T-shirt. Free giveaways, food, and beverages, while supplies last.
Bike Program Overview
Takoma Park is working to improve and maintain bicycle facilities while promoting a bicycle-friendly culture in the city. Objectives of the Bike Program include:
- Ensure existing facilities are regularly maintained and improved to meet modern standards of safety and convenience.
- Plan for future facilities that the City maintains on its properties, parks, and rights-of-way.
- Leverage Takoma Park’s physical strengths and existing public interest in bicycling to encourage local residents and employees to bike for commuting, errands, and recreation.
- Educate City, County, and State decision-makers about bicycling in Takoma Park with data and studies.
- Coordinate with external agencies and jurisdictions on bicycle planning and projects that impact residents, employees, and visitors in Takoma Park.
- Encourage bicycle education, safety, and ridership for elementary and middle school students through the Safe Routes to School program.