Dave Golden, founder and moderator of the Burtonsville 2.0 Facebook group, had a call with real estate development company EDENS regarding Burtonsville Crossing. Below you’ll see the notes from his phone call:
08/25 Burtonsville Crossing Update
Kristy Inman, Vice President – Leasing
David Germakian – Senior VP, Regional Lead, Mid-Atlantic Region
• There has been quite a bit of work and focus on Burtonsville Crossing with a lens towards post-COVID development. David and Kristy have been working on it personally for several months.
• While it may not look like it, and they understand the frustration, they are within a matter of months before being able to talk about breathing new life into the shopping center.
• They will be present at the Praisner Center on Burtonsville Day, September 25th. David, Kristy, and Ryan plan to be there from EDENS.
• Over the last 6 months, EDENS has had a number of conversations with the county and state. Tom Hucker has met with them and they are encouraged working with him.
• They plan to reposition what’s there – make some tweaks to create a community plaza, pedestrian connectivity to the BRT lot (which will include improvements) and reconfigure the shopping center plans. This includes adding drive-thrus and convenient curb-side pickup.
• EDENS as a company is not proud of what’s there. They are now focused and excited. They are cautiously optimistic after 18 months.
• EDENS just finished a shopping center in Annandale (developing during COVID) with expanded sidewalks, outdoor dining areas, and convenient grab-and go spaces. They plan to implement a lot of this in Burtonsville Crossing.
• To kick it off, they need to first secure an anchor stores. They are close to moving to lease with a grocery store that would ignite things. After the anchor store is secured, a snowball effect will take place with new shopping and dining opportunities.
• They would plan to reposition the former Giant space.
• The resiliency of Burtonsville Town Square across the street through COVID is a testament to the community supporting the demand.
• They have also studied this shopping center, recognizing opportunities that are not there that will be incorporated into the new Burtonsville Crossing.
• They recently hired a new Director of Community Experience who will be our point of contact.
• They look forward to providing updates as they progress.