Per the City of Rockville: “Native trees are beautiful, provide important habitat for birds and other wildlife, and help absorb stormwater runoff and pollutants. Rockville residents can receive a $150 rebate per tree from the city for planting native trees and up to a maximum of $5,000 in rebates across all rebate options. Eligible properties include single-family and townhome residences, homeowners associations, condominium associations, religious institutions, private schools and other nonprofits. Learn more at www.rockvillemd.gov/rainscapes.
Rebates are also available for permeable paver retrofits, rain barrels, native-planting projects and pavement removal.
Need ideas for trees to plant? You can usually find these native trees at local nurseries or online:
- Serviceberry (Amelanchier spp.).
- American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana).
- American plum (Prunus americana).
- White fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus).
- Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida).
- Eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis)
- Red oak (Quercus rubra).
- River birch (Betula nigra).
- Black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica).