Fire Caused by Recalled Surge Protector Thursday Evening

by MCS Staff
'

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Units were called to the 5100 block of Fairglen Lane, off of Fairfax Rd, in Chevy Chase for small fire at a single family home on Thursday evening.

The fire involved an electrical box that was attached to the outside of the home and was quickly put out by firefighters upon arrival. Connected to the electrical box that caught fire was a Supco surge protector that was previously recalled for its potential to cause fires. There was no extension to the fire,  no additional smoke, and no injuries.

MCFRS warns of the recalled surge protector.

'

You may also like

1 comment

'
avh April 29, 2022 - 11:17 am

HVAC installers are putting surge protectors on the disconnects when upgrading to ‘inverter’ condensers. This type of condenser has a circuit board to control compressor motor speed that has a lot of semiconductors. Expensive when it fails.

I don’t like any surge protector that’s not in a metal case. Even power strips with surge protectors inside- I only use ones with metal cases.

Reply

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy