Per Montgomery County: The Montgomery County Department of Transportation (MCDOT), in collaboration with the Washington Area Bicycle Association (WABA), will offer adult bike classes in April, May and June. The classes include a learn to ride and a basic skills class. MCDOT also will offer four free scooter classes in spring. Participants in the bicycle classes will learn how to start and stop, balance, glide, pedal and steer a bike. Each student will progress at their own pace. The classes will be led by experienced WABA instructors.
Advance registration is required to participate in the bicycle classes and cost $10 for Montgomery County residents. There is no charge for WABA or Capital Bikeshare For All members. The classes are open to residents 18 and over, are limited to 25 people and fill up quickly. Registration is currently open for April classes. Registration for May classes will open at 9 a.m. on March 27 and June class registration will open at 9 a.m. on April 24.
The schedule for Adult Learn to Ride bike classes:
- Saturday, April 1. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Upper County Recreation Center, 8201 Emory Grove Rd., Gaithersburg. *Free scooter class to follow.
- Saturday, April 16. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Westfield Montgomery Mall (former Sears parking lot), 7101 Democracy Blvd., Bethesda. *Free scooter class to follow.
- Sunday, April 30 (Spanish Class). 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Wheaton Ice Arena (back parking lot), 11717 Orebaugh Dr., Wheaton.
- Saturday, May 13. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Montgomery College (parking lot 13), 850 Hungerford Dr., Rockville. *Free scooter class to follow.
- Saturday, June 17. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. GEICO Chevy Chase Building, 5260 Western Ave., Chevy Chase.
The schedule for Adult Basic Skills bike classes:
- Saturday, May 6. 10 a.m.-noon. Burtonsville Park & Ride Lot (behind Burtonsville Crossing Shopping Center), 15701 Columbia Pike, Burtonsville.
- Sunday, June 3. 10 a.m.-noon. Wheaton Ice Arena, (back parking lot), 11717 Orebaugh Dr., Wheaton. *Free scooter class to follow.
Bicycles and helmets will be provided at no charge for the Adult Learn to Ride class participants and can be rented from WABA, if needed, for the Basic Skills class participants.
The free two-hour adult scooter classes are being offered on a drop-in basis on four select days immediately following the bike classes on April 1, April 16, May 13 and June 3. Scooter classes do not require pre-registration. Anyone 18 or over with a valid driver’s license or ID can join.
For more information and to register, visit MCDOT’s website at tinyurl.com/cycleclss or call 240-777-8380.