Per Montgomery County:
For Immediate Release: Friday, November 12, 2021
Senior Planet Montgomery, a technology training program designed for County learners 50 and older, is offering free online classes that focus on how to thrive at home. Classes, which are offered live via video conference, enhance a wide variety of life skills. Classes for seniors Nov. 15-19 will include details about Twitter and Spotify.
In addition to classes in English, two classes will be taught in Spanish, and two classes will be taught in Mandarin. A variety of exercise classes also will be offered.
During the spring and summer program quarters, more than 3,000 participants joined 195 virtual programs hosted by Senior Planet Montgomery. This fall, classes will cover how to use and host on Zoom, online basics, popular social media sites, lowering one’s utility bill, financial security, and civic engagement.
The program is supported by the County’s Department of Technology Services’ ultraMontgomery program in partnership with nonprofit OATS (Older Adults Technology Services). The County’s Department of Recreation and Montgomery County Public Libraries also are partners in helping provide the classes at no charge to participants.
Sessions concentrate on user-friendly tools and resources and are designed to enable older adults to learn to utilize technologies to improve their daily lives. Senior Planet Montgomery utilizes curricula created by OATS, which also provides training staff and works with numerous County departments to identify topics of interest for Montgomery residents. OATS sponsors similar Senior Planet programming in six states. The County’s Department of Environmental Protection contributes to the program’s course offerings by producing sessions on how to lower energy costs.
Classes change on a weekly basis. A home internet connection and a device (such as a smartphone, tablet or computer) are all that is required to participate.
Classes to be offered week of Nov. 15-19 will include:
- Twitter: Tuesday, Nov. 16, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Learn about Twitter’s important features as well as the social importance the service has gained over the last ten years and how to access breaking news.
- Stop Wasting Money on Your Energy Bill: Tuesday, Nov. 16, 3-4 p.m. Learn the difference between conservation and efficiency and the benefits of using less energy, plus some of the most efficient ways to do it.
- Spotify: Thursday, Nov. 18, 10:30-11:30 a.m. In this lecture, learn about Spotify’s important features, including how to search for songs and create playlists.
- Cloud Storage: Thursday, Nov. 18, 4-5 p.m. Learn the basics of cloud storage. Course will discuss what it is, why it’s the future of data storage, and demonstrate a few of the most popular services currently available to consumers.
Classes in Mandarin:
- 「能」理解、「能」省錢 開放問答室11/17, 12 – 1 p.m. 歡迎您加入我們這場問答，開放討論您聆聽過關於 「「能」理解、「能」省錢。 關於「能」理解、「能」省錢：想找到方法減少水電費支出，保住口袋裡的零用錢嗎？Montgomery Energy Connection 能幫您這個忙！這堂講座課會向您介紹新的郡政府網站：MontgomeryEnergyConnection.org 。網站中彙整了值得信賴的資訊，並提供解決方案，幫您管理能源使用以及減少您的能源費用支出。您將學會如何使用該網站找到節能計畫、探索節能科技，並且從中瞭解自己的水電費帳單。
- 瞭解能源選擇 (三), 11/19, 12 – 1 p.m. 您知道身為馬里蘭州的居民，您有權選擇自己的電力供應業者嗎？馬里蘭州的能源供應可以自由選擇，消費者能夠自己決定他們的電力和天然氣供應者。本次的介紹中，我們會談到能源選擇，也會提供辨別水電氣詐騙的訣竅。我們也會討論除了替換能源供應業者之外，降低帳單支出的方法。。
English Translation for Classes in Mandarin:
- Make Energy Cents Open Lab: Wednesday, Nov. 17 noon -1 p.m. In this open lab discuss your questions from Make Energy Cents. About Make Energy Cents: Looking for ways to lower your utility bill and keep money in your pocket? Montgomery Energy Connection can help! This lecture will introduce the new County website, www.MontgomeryEnergyConnection.org.
- Understanding Energy Choice: Friday, Nov. 19 noon -1 p.m. Did you know that as a Maryland resident, you have the option to choose who supplies your electricity? Maryland is an energy choice state where customers can choose their electricity and natural gas providers. During this presentation, we will talk about energy choice as well as offer tips for identifying utility scams. We’ll also discuss ways to lower your bill without switching suppliers.
For more information about Senior Planet Montgomery and to view its virtual program offerings, visit https://seniorplanet.org/Montgomery. The team can be contacted at 240-753-0676 or via email at email@example.com.
To sign up for the Senior Planet Montgomery newsletter, which includes detailed information about upcoming classes, go to https://seniorplanet.org/get-involved/newsletters/.
# # #